User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User richarddawson
(experienced) Mon 30-Apr-12 18:16:49
Print Post

Moving from BE ADSL2+ to Infinity 2 - some tech questions.

[link to this post]

BT engineer is due on Thursday, (The Home Hub 3 and letter arrived today)
I want to get things sorted before they arrive.

What are the dimensions of the current VDSL the openreach engineer brings on install day?
I want to make sure there is a place to mount it in the room. (The wall can't take drilling into, the plaster isn't strong enough) but my custom built desk can be drilled into. (basic softwood from wickes)

What is the default IP address (LAN) to get the Home Hub 3 configuration pages in the browser?
I don't want the installation CD to be used.
I'd prefer the engineer to set up the router using Dynamic LAN IP addresses (to get me stasrted), and i'll sort the rest of my LAN. to use static IPs

What is the range of numbers that the Home Hub 3 uses for dynamic LAN IP addresses?

I'll also request they don't install any of their security software as well.
as I don't want any bloatware on the computers.

Has anyone used an internal drive, in an external USB2 case, connected to the Home Hub 3?
what is the performance like?

Rick Dawson

|BE|
Visit my site for my blog, and My Online DJ Mixes Player with my mixes [Trance / Electro / UK Hardcore]:
www.richarddawson.co.uk
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 30-Apr-12 19:14:01
Print Post

Re: Moving from BE ADSL2+ to Infinity 2 - some tech question

[re: richarddawson] [link to this post]

About 35mm x 120mm x 165mm (for the Echolife modem).

HH3 default IP is 192.168.1.254 (although you could have found this by plugging in your PC, typing 'ipconfig' in a command prompt window and looking at the 'default gateway').

HH3 has DHCP enabled by default (no setting up, of this, is required by the engineer).

No need for any of the software on any of the CDs.

Ade

vDSL2 FTTC Infinity with BT
DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Standard User richarddawson
(experienced) Mon 30-Apr-12 20:12:49
Print Post

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

I know the CD isn't needed... just to go and say it's not needed (or wanted) to the engineer.

I have not connected to the home hub 3, as all the computers on my network are set to static IPs inc gateway IP

I don't want to go changing anything till thursday.

all routers are set to urun dynamic dhcp addresses by default... I wasn't sure of the home hub. Just so I know these details, and I am armed to deal with the engineer, as I know how I want it set up and working as far as the engineer is involved.

as I'll change the security settings 9passcodes / password etc) to something different. and then go round the network setting fixed IPs up.

A fixed IP is needed for our printer server.

Rick Dawson

|BE|
Visit my site for my blog, and My Online DJ Mixes Player with my mixes [Trance / Electro / UK Hardcore]:
www.richarddawson.co.uk

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 30-Apr-12 20:43:11
Print Post

You should be fine. The engineer who installed mine just plugged in the Echolife modem and checked to see it sync'd. Then the HH.
He wasn't interested in mucking about with the CDs, or security software.
I don't think they take much convincing to just plug in modem and router, then leave smile

You have full control over DHCP ranges and lease times, the firewall & rules is OK, too.
The only thing that's dodgy is the "best wireless"...It's rubbish and tends to hunt for a busy channel and stick there until you kick it up the backside!

Ade

vDSL2 FTTC Infinity with BT
DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 30-Apr-12 22:06:40
Print Post

Plenty of us have the Openreach modem sitting normally on a hard surface, like any modem. I think the vertical mounting may only matter for the initial type, which you won't be having, and even that didn't seem to give problems to many.

Just OR have gone to the "avoid potential problem" approach, for which you can't blame them. If you are happy to sort it out yourself if necessary, just have it free-standing.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  Print Thread

Jump to