User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User izools
(experienced) Tue 01-May-12 10:45:30
Print Post

BT Infinity Option 2 Upgrade - Fail, or impatience?

[link to this post]

So I had BT Infinity Option 2 installed in January which has been flippin' brilliant I must say.

Been getting full throughput morning noon and night, can't fault it. Even good with P2P with the right settings.

Upgraded to the 80/20 yesterday, which is great. Except that it isn't.

Whilst I am now getting 17Mbit upstream throughput my downstream throughput has halved frown

Weird thing is BT Speedtester reports an IP Profile of 77.43 Mbit/sec. So my sync rate must be around the full 80 meg mark to be given an IP profile of 77.43 surely?

Is this normal and can I expect it to settle during the magical 10 day stabilisation period or just BT reverting to their usual selves?

If anyone can share their experience of upgrading to 80/20 infinity I'd appreciate it smile

Thanks

BT Infinity #2 - 4.4MBps on P2P ¦ Full 40/10 Sync ¦ 81/20 Attainable ¦ Benchmarked 22ms Ping ¦ 2ms Jitter ¦ 37.3Mbit Down ¦ 9.2Mbit Up
BT / Openreach - You've finally done well. Very well indeed.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 01-May-12 10:55:55
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity Option 2 Upgrade - Fail, or impatience?

[re: izools] [link to this post]

Can you show the results of BT, TBB and speedtest.net tests?

Also, take a screenshot of TaskManager (Network Tab) to give a graphical representation host the image and post a link.

That will give an overall picture of what is happening.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 01-May-12 11:15:49
Print Post

Reboot both the modem and router. (It may not be necessary to do the modem, just might as well).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 01-May-12 11:29:27
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

To add its only worth doing any of the testing when using ethernet, as even 802.11n is going to struggle with 80 Meg connections

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 01-May-12 11:54:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by izools:

Maybe give it a few days.
I had exactly the same thing when I switched from 40/10 to 80/20. Download speeds on everything (except multi-thread downloads & Usenet) were below 16Mbps.
It was so bad it appeared (and I'm still not sure it wasn't) BT were throttling each download thread.

It seemed to recover 4-5 days after the upgrade.
Now only the TBB speedtester gives rubbish speeds (but I've yet to be convinced that's not just broken).
Most speedtests (regardless of time of day) hit around 76/16.

Single http downloads are still a little on the slow side with speeds bouncing all over the place (the 1GB test file from TBB is all over the place (literally one second it's hitting 45Mbps, then 18Mbps a second later).
Either BT are still throttling single download threads or TBB not only have an issue with their speedtester, they also have an issue with their upload ability (of their test files).

Whatever it is, the speeds are a lot better than they were a week ago (when my shiny new 80Mbps download was lucky to hit 5Mbps).

Try a TBB test file using a download manager (so you get get more than one thread/segment going at a time) and see if your line is actually able to hit the maximum speed of around 76Mbps.
My guess is it will and you're just seeing the same as I (a limit/cap on each download thread, but the line still able to acheive maximum speed by setting multiple downloads/threads)...i.e. It's being throttled!

Ade

vDSL2 FTTC Infinity with BT
DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 01-May-12 12:05:12
Print Post

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

Update!

Ignore TBB downloads (test files or their speedtester). Both are most definitely broken (or their links to BT are not performing well).

The TBB 1GB test file averages around 32Mbps (single thread download), never gets more than around 45Mbps and spends most of its time below 30Mbps, and their speedtester is still giving little more than half the upload & download speeds as others.

Just tried a 1GB test file (source recommended by Croftie) and it's hitting max speed (around 76Mbps). Still bounces around all over the place (indicating some throttling or capacity issues at BT) but the download spends most of its time above 55Mbps and is averaging at least twice the speed available from the TBB test file.

If you're using TBB tests as a basis for noting your download speed is rubbish, check elsewhere because it really seems like the TBB test files and speedtester are not helping (by giving rubbish results themselves).

Many others are also reporting issues with the TBB tests.

Ade

DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps

Edited by adebov (Tue 01-May-12 12:05:55)

Standard User GMAN98
(experienced) Tue 01-May-12 12:09:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by izools:
So I had BT Infinity Option 2 installed in January which has been flippin' brilliant I must say.

Been getting full throughput morning noon and night, can't fault it. Even good with P2P with the right settings.

Whilst I am now getting 17Mbit upstream throughput my downstream throughput has halved frown

Weird thing is BT Speedtester reports an IP Profile of 77.43 Mbit/sec. So my sync rate must be around the full 80 meg mark to be given an IP profile of 77.43 surely?

Is this normal and can I expect it to settle during the magical 10 day stabilisation period or just BT reverting to their usual selves?

If anyone can share their experience of upgrading to 80/20 infinity I'd appreciate it smile

Thanks

My brother went through the same experience although his download was still about 39Mbps... it was his AV/Firewall software Kaspersky, it either couldn't process the data as fast as needed or was throttling it somehow.

He uninstalled it and used ESET instead and now gets the full download speed
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 01-May-12 13:14:57
Print Post

Doing some tests a few months back I was able to get 80 -90 Mbps from the TBB tester on a consistent basis. I did not have full control of the circuit so there was other traffic but the tester was easily able to provide those speeds.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 01-May-12 13:39:05
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Indeed; it was OK, now it's not (and this also goes for the TBB test files).

Ade

DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Standard User qasdfdsaq
(learned) Tue 01-May-12 14:00:38
Print Post

Agreed. Last time I did a test, TBB's tester was reporting ~45 down and 6 up. A test transfer of a single file to/from my own dedicated server in France easily maxed out at 75mbps down at 19.5 up. Speedtest.net which is reasonable but not excellent for upload was reporting 74.5/17.5
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to