User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Spinstorm
(committed) Thu 03-May-12 17:11:30
Print Post

Why have speed tests gone from 75Mbits to 50Mbits?

[link to this post]

I had Infinity installed last week and I would get consistent roughly 70Mbit every time. Sometimes my speed would drop over 24hours but a reboot of the modem and hub fixed it, however since yesterday the speedtests come in at 50Mbits even after reboots.

The BT speedtest still shows me on the 77Mbit profile... so what is going on?

It doesn't help I can't see my sync speed as if I am synced at 79999 then I can understand server/internet traffic slowing it down but I have no idea what is going on. Anyone have any ideas? And yes I realise that 50Mbits is still 3 times faster than I had before so I know I sound spoilt!
Standard User djfunkdup
(committed) Thu 03-May-12 17:18:49
Print Post

Re: Why have speed tests gone from 75Mbits to 50Mbits?

[re: Spinstorm] [link to this post]

Sorry i can't give you a direct answer to your question ...

But have you downloaded test files and checked your connection that way ? Speed tests are really not that accurate and can vary so much.... Usually with things unconnected to your connection..

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/download.html

VirginMedia100 TiVo1TB
Standard User Daniel_g
(member) Thu 03-May-12 17:46:42
Print Post

[re: Spinstorm] [link to this post]

Try this is you can follow. Needs the computer to plug into the white modem and a bit of setting of the ethernet adaptor to give it a static ip address.

Can then get to the good stuff as it brings up its own internally generated web pages.

When done plug it all back in as normal to the wireless router and another network lead to a spare connection on the router (normally 4 of them, is on mine) to LAN 2 on the white modem (this has a sticker covering it I guess at the moment, mine did anyway.

http://huaweihg612hacking.wordpress.com/about/

See if the modem says the IP profile is the same as the bt speedtester.

BT speedtester says 10meg upload but speedtests gave 1.8 up like it has since last may so the regrade to the new 40/10 speeds and new 18 month contact all over again was a disaster.

First day got 7.7mbs up and the normal 38 (on a good day ) down then went back to 2 up speeds.

Openreach guty came around and the underground cable feeded our 4 properties on the end of the building ( we are 8 flats) has faults, not that anyone else is moaning but the FTTC kit saw it as to many errors and droped the spped back to 2 after not 12 hours I bet of having the new faster upload.

Could be a dodgy line.

Unlock modem and see what it says in the WAN, then xDSL tab.

Line rate is the good stuff and what it thinks the max is, all on that page.

What I get.

Attainable rate (kbit/s) 76076 26475
SNR margin (dB) 16.4 24.9
Line attenuation (dB) 0 0
Output power (dBmV) 12.4 3.8

Statistics
Help

Path 0

Path 1
Downstream Upstream Downstream Upstream
Line rate (kbit/s) 39998 1999 0 0
CRC errors 0 0 0 0
FEC errors 3371 7 0 0
HEC errors 2377 0 0 0

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 03-May-12 17:55:00
Print Post

[re: Daniel_g] [link to this post]

See if the modem says the IP profile is the same as the bt speedtester.
The modem hasn't any idea what the IP Profile is.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User Daniel_g
(member) Thu 03-May-12 18:11:41
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hello Bob

Been going on for weeks.

Did the upgrade on the BT my account.

So another 18 months, already got through 11 months of it and now all over again.

First morning got the 7.7 up.

Come dinnertime checked again and back to a speedteston 1 of them ( not the rubbish bt one!). and at 37 something and 1.8 up. Like the last 11 months.

Rang up india, should be gratefull as getting 40 mbs, what part of I am talking about the upload do you not understand. Told to keep an eye on it and see what happens, nothing as stuck on 2 as the modem says. He did not understand I was getting same speed as from the start last may.

Wrote to some main man PA ( google and got a web page of english uselfull bt guys and gals.).

Rang up and now working with uk complains. tech support. over week and a halk ago bloke checked line from a box of tricks plugged into master socket and out in the garden other end of blck in the join box under metal 15 inch cover in their garden.

Two saturday wasted and a tuesday and now they where coming today. so 4 times the didgers where coming to lay the new cable. Give me the cable and wil get the spade out the garage and do myself. 25m of cable under a few gardens. Thats why our speed dropped back, dodgy line but phone goes and ok at 40/2 but now should be faster as was for 1/2 a day.

BT speedtest says is 40/ 10 but I know it is not and told cabnet dropped us back.

How hard is it to get a team out to lay a wire under the garden.

weeks on and they ( nice UK tech support and same person we have direct line and emauil for) just rang while writting this and openreach as messing around, BT complains cant be nicer and say sorrry enough.

BT and india call centre, horrible.

UK people , NICE!.

off the point., what modem and BT speedtester say are different but upload of 1.8 is 2meg cap like since last may.

Rant over.

Was just a though to check what modem says, I was thinking for the other poster.
It must get the spped details from the kit in the cabnet I was guessing. Why report a setting is not right.

Mine of 39999 and the 1999 up makes sense and is righ as did get the faster sppedtest on the first morning.
Standard User chrishewitt35
(newbie) Wed 13-Jun-12 00:03:54
Print Post

Sorry to here about his, I have EXACTY the same situation. I was following your posts hoping to see some resolution? Has there been any progress ?

Here is the log from my modem showing my symptoms. I re-requested Infinity option 1, which was installed on the 3/6/2012. As you can see from the plot upload sync rate when up close to 8000Meg, I actually ran a speed test and think it reported 5.6Meg upload. The next day at 7am the line was set back to 2Meg, even though there is plenty of SNR margin.

24/7 Sync Rate
(Cant insert images on here for some reason does [IMG] not work ?)

I run 24/7 logging on the modem otherwise I probably would not have had a clue what was going on. Spoke to "Tech Support" for 20min they ran though the speed test etc. then said because I was in the 10 day training period they could not help. They said they would call back after 10days but not holding my hopes up.

Hope you get yours sorted. If you do I would appreciate a reply to explain who you needed to talk to.

Regards

Chris
Standard User Daniel_g
(member) Wed 13-Jun-12 08:04:55
Print Post

[re: chrishewitt35] [link to this post]

So speed drops back to 2 upload then.

Months on mine still not done. BT openreach coming to do the cable and on 2 saturdays, sit around and nothing, then in the week, messed around 5 times and someone needs to do something in the local cabnet down the road, plug a box of tricks or computer in I guess to say it needs to be 10 up, cant be done by a computer in an office or system remotely. Good this day and age then!.

Was happening again last thursday as was done once and did go up to 7.7up on speedtests then day or so after dropped back. So again last thursday and surprise, nothing. So sis around all day when Caroline was off work last week (Me not working at the moment), but days wasted sitting around and no one comes,

Did start off by writing to the main man PA after india no help and say keep an eye on and will see and they ring the next day, to be fair do but profile was on 2 as unlocked modem says. Gave up and wrote to England then all good, work wituk team in newcastle (as the email address suggests but phone number london so who knows!). Now finding that hard work and they must be getting a bit fed up months on and my contract starting again for nothing in april and now last week did the ungrade on the My BT web pages in the hope that jiggles the system into life but no, get all the emails saying order is now done. Everything suggests 10 up on my BT web site and the test results on the BT speedtest but modem is on 2 Meg up as unlocked (have you done this),
Reason is 2 systems and 1 thinks 10 meg up and the other 2meg ( guess BT openreach one as ther stuff on the street cabnet), so on we go.

Line was found to have a fault and a guy with his spade came and dug up in next doors garden redid a join make last year that was full of water so dodgy line. Redone so fault cleared as another reson was stuff in the cabnet was noticing to many errors when going up to 10 meg so not a day later drops to 2 again where just a few errors, like 2 in weeks happen as unlocked modem says this info.

So line mended and then can try 10 up again if openreach come to the cabnet and set it at that.

Just to get the cable mended takes god knows how long as not digging teams availible. Now the easy bit of setting to 10 in the cabnet by plugging something in, even less interested so good luck.

To be fair had people come out and test line but now months on all a bit fed up.

Was told by first openreach guy that came months ago, cable from 1 end of block to other duff 25m run or so under the gardens. Others come along and test again ( good use of man power and money as done already), say the join is bad so what was mended so not really done right, a duff old cable with joins, good so fast internet then.

All a balls up and still not going, wil stop moaning when I get the 38 meg on a good day down and always has so all ok but when 10 meg up so got about 7.7 when it did work then will stop moaning. Just a change on the system now and no one wants to know. Did get the line mended but what for, internet no better as no one will do and reset to the spped it should be.

Days sat around and nothing happens, good job not on a full time job as wasting days off for some one that never comes, not happy, worked around the 9 hour a week job and saturdays so no work lost, just sitting around saturdays, nice then.

Do private message with email adress and see if I can get the bt guy from complains to get going, india a bit pointless I think if anything a bit unusual.

When I had only 2 meg up and was paying for 10, was told I had 40 meg and that was good so be gratefull.

Was on about the upstream, 40 down is full wack but that not the arguement. he never got, moved on to UK at that point.
Standard User chrishewitt35
(newbie) Wed 13-Jun-12 10:20:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by Daniel_g:
Everything suggests 10 up on my BT web site and the test results on the BT speedtest but modem is on 2 Meg up as unlocked (have you done this),
Reason is 2 systems and 1 thinks 10 meg up and the other 2meg ( guess BT openreach one as ther stuff on the street cabnet), so on we go.

Yes the IP profile on the BT site says I am on 10Meg profile (The line is not capable of 10Meg) but it looks like it could easily do 5-8Meg. The strange thing is that when the sync speed was up at 8Meg my scripts did not report any SNR on either up or down not sure if that was a formatting issue or that the SNR was <0 which may have caused a problem.

I dont think that there is anything wrong with my line just the sync profile is stuck at 1999 in the cabinet. Are you saying that an openreach engineer has to come to the cabinet to resolve that ?

Chris

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Daniel_g
(member) Wed 13-Jun-12 12:08:04
Print Post

[re: chrishewitt35] [link to this post]

Is the rubbish systems, 2 things and dont talk to each other or could be the stuff in the cabnet not happy with the errors and dropped back, we had 7.7 for one speed test the morning at 7am when it changed, gone back to 2meg at 12 ish when done hours later, did not check the modem so loads of errors who knows, what I was told for the reason.

Moan to the right people and some one will come out and check. What I had as dont guess the line is fine, get some moneys worth by them sending out someone but wont get anywhere with india.

I always get ( when internet slowed and crackling line), line ok sir we just tested , tested my Ar.. you know!.

Works when I say it does and does not crackle, and did corded phone from test socket and recorded, pratts.

Up to you but unless get uk involved will get knowhere.

I can have the cheak to give the uk lot your email or phone number but unless I get not much I can do.
Not really my job so try this.

Does get responded to as all on here, just web pages google brings up so not me doing it for you and going to the complains person I deal with, before anyone moans.

http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issue...

http://www.ceoemail.com/

To get the faster speeds someone needs to do something in the cabnet but would get something out of them by openreach guy checking the line. I had a small tester beeping away on the master socket and him outside in the garden at the BT man hole, junction box joiner I think with some other toy and found problem so dont just guess line is good. I thought it was ok as mended last year but it had failed again in the join under next doors garden but phone was going and internet on 40/2 meg spped ok, not when went to 10 up.

Stuff in the cabnet might decided there is a duff joint or noise then nothing could be done I guess . Started to think I wont get anywhere, white and get ignored now. After months of pratting around I am bored with it all and so are they. Write and see where you get. Maybe better is you start on you own and then correct guys ( email gets passed to them) ring up and then you are off. See if getting it sorted takes 3 months or more, mine is now and still not done. Hard work.
Standard User blinky
(committed) Wed 13-Jun-12 18:10:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by Daniel_g:
. I had a small tester beeping away on the master socket and him outside in the garden at the BT man hole, junction box joiner I think with some other toy and found problem so dont just guess line is good.

That will be a tone-generator on the master and a probe. It's so you can identify which pair your line is using.
He may have used a TDR (Time Domain Reflectometer) to determine how far the fault was from your house.

PS. I don't work for Openreach but I work in Telecoms but mainly on PBX's.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to