User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Speleo
(learned) Thu 03-May-12 19:00:09
Print Post

BT Infinity Support quality - Anyone in the UK to talk to?

[link to this post]

I've got a problem with my BT Infinity line. These things happen and when they do we call support. When you've been battling with support for over a month you begin to question what you are hearing.

BT Infinity support and complaint numbers are identical. So even though I've tried, I can't raise a complaint.

The team who answer the calls are good at calling me back but you can only talk to them. They do not have email and refuse to mail me my case notes.

The people who answer the phone (in India) appear to have very little technical knowledge and often tell me that they guarantee to fix the problem later today (but refuse to put that in writing). They have little knowledge of comms and every time I feel like I've been fobbed off.

BT Retail (Infinity) and BT Wholesale (Openreach) appear to be on different planets.

Infinity support are very polite but their command of English is often challenging which leaves them unable to answer simple yes / no questions.

I've tried talking to the team managers but the only training they seem to have taken is how to deliver platitudes and get you off the line. They actually seem to care less than the rest of the staff.

Does anyone know if there is anyone in the UK I can talk to?

Edited by Speleo (Thu 03-May-12 19:01:02)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 03-May-12 19:40:37
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity Support quality - Anyone in the UK to talk t

[re: Speleo] [link to this post]

First of all, yes - BT Retail, BT Wholesale and Openreach are 3 separate companies. You should be dealing with BT Retail only.

To fix your problem, have you tried raising a fault and seeing it progressed through on the bt.com website?

If you want some UK help, post on the community forums at http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/bd-p/BTInfinity and contact the Mods there. They are very helpful.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 03-May-12 19:45:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by Speleo:
So even though I've tried, I can't raise a complaint.
You can raise a complaint in writing here: https://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/5642,5676

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Speleo
(learned) Thu 03-May-12 20:28:42
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

BatBoy - Many thanks for the link to the infinity forum. I'll give that a go. I keep raising cases with BT Retail and have had 4 engineer appointments, two of which they cancelled at short notice.

BT Retail, BT Wholesale and Openreach are actually divisions of the same company along with Global Services.

XRaySpeX - thanks for the link. I'll give that a go too.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 03-May-12 20:33:41
Print Post

Yeah, I know BT encompasses many different companies, including Dabs and Plusnet.

So, with these faults that were raised, what happened to them, did BT just close them as "resolved"?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 03-May-12 23:13:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by Speleo:
BT Retail, BT Wholesale and Openreach are actually divisions of the same company along with Global Services.
BatBoy was right. They are separate companies, owned by the BT Group. That's a huge difference legally and practically. There's also BT Operate involved.

Openreach are required by OfCom to treat all CPs (Communications Providers) equally. One of those CPs is BT Wholesale, who in turn are required to treat all their customers the same - that's almost all phone and/or broadband providers.

That's why it can be frustratingly hard to get anywhere with BT Retail, as they have virtually the same hoops to go through as a 1-man ISP, when most people expect them to be able just to pick up an internal phone.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User Speleo
(learned) Fri 04-May-12 08:43:03
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

My bad, you're right. I'm just frustrated as I thought the I had one [censored] to kick by going with BT.

Last conversation with them was to get them to escalate the issue to their level 2 team. Was told told expect a call within 48 hours. I first raised a fault around 5th April.

I'm getting 9 down + 0.6 up on an 80/20 connection with regular drop outs. The drop outs now are consistent time wise with retraining / authentication. Initially the drop outs were for a hour or two at random times.

I've been told that my circuit has been reprovisioned, moved to a different port on the DSLAM, had a new circuit board on the DSLAM and more often "it's complicated, were working on it". The best explanation from an engineer that called was that RAMBO is not seeing traffic from the DSLAM so keeps on changing my profile.

According to Infinity support there are excessive retrains on my line. Given the above this indicate to me that the problem is going to be somewhere on the active equipment between my modem (3B) and whatever writes my profile.

I had an engineer out on Monday who sorted the problem out and I got 72/16 for a few hours. By Tuesday morning it had died. Had another engineer booked for Wednesday but they cancelled at the last minute saying that they didn't need to visit as all the work need to be done in the exchange. True - just nothing has happened since then.

Besides booking engineers and asking if I've got green lights, the support team in India are polite but pretty useless. They can't answer even basic questions at times and don't seem all that concerned.

Let's see what raising a complaint will do. Thanks for all your help.
ISP Representative BT_Care
(isp) Fri 04-May-12 14:29:14
Print Post

Hi

I have just seen your post and would like to look into the issue for you, if you send me over your details via http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4950 I will run some checks from my side and see what I can do to get the issue sorted.

Regards David
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User Speleo
(learned) Wed 09-May-12 12:36:51
Print Post

[re: BT_Care] [link to this post]

I sent my details over as per the form and got a call last Saturday while I was driving. Since I couldn't take notes the person said they would email me and we could talk later.

...and that was as far as BT support in the UK goes too. No email, no support.

I really get the impression that BT just don't care.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 09-May-12 19:39:28
Print Post

They called you and you didn't take the call. Unlucky.

Print Thread

Jump to