User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User lelboy
(member) Sat 05-May-12 22:31:54
Print Post

Infinity 80/20 slowdown

[link to this post]

Hmm, been with Infinity 80/20 for two weeks now (from 40/10 - which had very, very few problems); most of the 10 day induction period the speeds were typically 60+/14+ ( I was told to expect 51/13). Over the last few days my speeds have typically been 30/15 - by TBB, Speedtest.net and BT Wholesale beta tester: this is worse that the last year of 40/10 when speeds were normally about 33/8 consistent. I've been in touch with BT, who told me to wait until next Friday, when hopefully escalations would have resolved the issue. The reason I am posting now is to query whether anyone else has had problems over the last few days - I'm on the Albert Dock east London exchange. Any comments welcomed.
Cheers, Les.
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 05-May-12 23:28:27
Print Post

Re: Infinity 80/20 slowdown

[re: lelboy] [link to this post]

What is your IP profile (get this by doing a BT speedtest)?

If it's significantly higher than your current download speed, you could be seeing the same as a few more of use (reasonable evidence there's a speed throttle in place).

My problems also started when I switched to 80/20.
Sometimes I get full speed (around 74-75Mbps), other times I'm lucky to get 5Mbps.

Ade

vDSL2 FTTC Infinity with BT
DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Standard User KStax
(member) Sat 05-May-12 23:35:42
Print Post

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

How much do you download in the average month?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lelboy
(member) Sun 06-May-12 00:17:53
Print Post

Hi Ade, Thanks for the reply.
Details are as below, but full of inconsistencies.
I got an email from BT a short while after they "escalated" the fault - saying it was fixed. I've done BT BETA tester/Speedtest.net/TBB test just now and BT "Beta" says 62/14 normal BT speedtester says what you see below, speedtest.net gives 63/15 TBB gives just over 40/15.
All very peculiar.
As I say, I've just finished the "training period" when the speed - most of the time - was very good, usually over 60 (got plenty of screenshots and the record from speedtest.net) .
I suppose all I can do is see how it pans out over the Bank Holiday!
Cheers, Les

FAQ

Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
27 Mbps

0 Mbps 65.51 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 27 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12 Mbps-65.51 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 65.51 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
16.22 Mbps

0 Mbps 20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 16.22Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
Standard User lelboy
(member) Sun 06-May-12 00:21:37
Print Post

[re: KStax] [link to this post]

Hi there, Not too much really - although a lot more than we did when using o2 @1.6 meg!
A couple of hours of iPlayer a day, TVCatchup off and on over the evenings and the odd YouTube download: no "dodgy" downloads or torrents of any sort, so I suppose it might be perhaps 10GB a day maybe.
Cheers, Les.
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 06-May-12 00:56:17
Print Post

According to TBBmeter I did 95GB last month (t'was a light month - a server backup and a fair bit of streaming, plus playing with Sky Active+, has seen me do 65GB already this month, and we're only just over a week into it).
Of course; there's a fair bet at least half that is speedtesting!

Ade

vDSL2 FTTC Infinity with BT
DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps

Edited by adebov (Sun 06-May-12 00:58:41)

Standard User KStax
(member) Sun 06-May-12 08:51:31
Print Post

I'm wondering if the BT throttler is sophisticated enough to manage the individual if they're particularly heavy users. Probably not, but with 80mb download speeds just a handful of users have the potential to cause some serious congestion in their locale. Whether you go for the Sky approach of buying loads of extra capacity or BT's which seems to be shaping of questionable downloads, we as users do need some sort of system to ensure good service for the more important taks of browsing, streaming video, gaming, VoIP etc.

My speedtest.net results are pretty much steady at the maximum 70mb of my line. We're heavier than average users too, and I'm conscious of the fact this household could burn through our average month's usage of around 75GB in 2 hours if we max our line, so I wouldn't want to get put on some type of throttle myself, if it's going to affect streaming etc.

Thanks for responses.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 06-May-12 09:08:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by KStax:
I'm wondering if the BT throttler is sophisticated enough to manage the individual if they're particularly heavy users.
Yes it is, when it is in use.
Probably not, but with 80mb download speeds just a handful of users have the potential to cause some serious congestion in their locale. Whether you go for the Sky approach of buying loads of extra capacity or BT's which seems to be shaping of questionable downloads, we as users do need some sort of system to ensure good service for the more important taks of browsing, streaming video, gaming, VoIP etc.
I fully agree.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 06-May-12 09:09:55)

Standard User KStax
(member) Sun 06-May-12 09:43:05
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yeah, I've been on a couple of ISPs which just never managed to find a balance in terms of adequate bandwidth for those time-critical activities and keeping in check the real hogs of torrents/newsgroups etc.

Plusnet and Eclipse, if anyone's wondering. This was a few years ago now, though.

Now that some of us have connections literally 20x or 30x faster than before, the need for sensible management is even greater. BT have been doing a good job so far for me. Fingers crossed.

Edited by KStax (Sun 06-May-12 09:44:25)

Standard User fowler002
(member) Sun 06-May-12 17:16:15
Print Post

[re: lelboy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lelboy:
Hmm, been with Infinity 80/20 for two weeks now (from 40/10 - which had very, very few problems); most of the 10 day induction period the speeds were typically 60+/14+ ( I was told to expect 51/13). Over the last few days my speeds have typically been 30/15 - by TBB, Speedtest.net and BT Wholesale beta tester: this is worse that the last year of 40/10 when speeds were normally about 33/8 consistent. I've been in touch with BT, who told me to wait until next Friday, when hopefully escalations would have resolved the issue. The reason I am posting now is to query whether anyone else has had problems over the last few days - I'm on the Albert Dock east London exchange. Any comments welcomed.
Cheers, Les.

do you know how far you're from the fttc cab?

I had the same prediction as you(51/13) from the speed checker before I signed upto infinity(I only had mine installed 5days ago, only became available in my area end of march).

according to the engineer his machine said 800m for the distance to the cab and achievable speeds of 52/10.

the ip profile shows ~48mb for the d/l(max actual speed from speedtesters has been 46mb) and 20mb for upload(we get ~9mb).

having read about people getting higher speeds(well when the connection is working properly smile ) than the speed checker predicted I was hoping for 60mb, but saying that the speeds we get are hell of a lot faster than we were getting on adsl2/2+(2.5mb max).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to