User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User new2fibre
(newbie) Tue 15-May-12 13:01:08
Print Post

Fibre Option 3 Much Slower than Predicted Speed

[link to this post]

I've just had BT Faster Total Broadband Option 3 with fibre fitted. I was given an anticipated download speed of 10 Mbps and an upload speed of 2 Mbps. I have just carried out a speed test a couple of days after installation and I'm only getting an upload of 3 Mbps and a download of 0.5 Mbps. Is there anyway of getting an engineer to work on my line to achieve speeds nearer to those I expected? The engineer that fitted the broadband was unable to test the line after installation as he couldn't get a signal to hold on his test equipment. He originally said that if his speed test was under 10 Mbps another engineer would visit to work on the line. But a speed test was unable to be carried out.

I understand that my line is connected to a cabinet that is actually the second closest one to me - is there anyway of getting it moved to the closest cabinet? Is there any chance the speed will improve in the next few days or should I contact BT straight away. I'd imagine that it wouldn't be possible to connect the line to the closest cabinet but is there anything else an engineer can carry out to improve the speed? Any advice much appreciated.
ISP Representative BT_Care
(isp) Wed 16-May-12 10:30:56
Print Post

Re:Fibre Option 3 Much Slower than Predicted Speed

[re: new2fibre] [link to this post]

Hi New3fibre,

With the Broadband only being installed there is a 10 day stabilisation period, so you might notice your speeds improve over the next few days.

I can run a few checks on your line from here if you like. Send me in your details using http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4950

Thanks

Paddy
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 16-May-12 11:02:27
Print Post

[re: BT_Care] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BT_Care:
With the Broadband only being installed there is a 10 day stabilisation period, so you might notice your speeds improve over the next few days.
It's time the bosses of BT found out that that is rubbish on Infinity, and sent out new guidance to their staff such as you.
2.2.5 Dynamic Line Management
Dynamic Line Management (DLM) is employed in GEA-FTTC. DLM constantly manages lines to maintain a target stability. It does this for as long as the product exists.
At provision, the line is put on wide open profiles, allowing downstream line speeds of up to 40Mbit/s, and upstream line speeds of up to 2Mbit/s, or 10Mbit/s. depending on the upstream product option selected.
On the first day of operation, DLM will intervene if severe instability is detected. Otherwise, DLM will wait until the day after provision before intervening, provided that the line has been trained up for at least 15 minutes during the preceding day.
If DLM intervenes it will set a capped profile with a maximum rate and a minimum rate, where the minimum rate is set at approximately half of the maximum rate. The purpose of the minimum rate is to ensure that the line does not train at a rate which is significantly below the level the line should be able to achieve. If this happened, then the line is likely to remain at a very low rate till a re-train is forced by the user powering off the Active NTE.
The above has not yet been updated for 80/20 but the same principle applies. The old BT Wholesale DLM also runs, in order to set the IP Profile, but has no direct control over the line.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 16-May-12 11:04:33)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 16-May-12 11:49:42
Print Post

Re: Fibre Option 3 Much Slower than Predicted Speed

What speed did you have from ADSL previously?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User qasdfdsaq
(member) Thu 17-May-12 01:53:28
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Also worth pointing out is that DLM cannot and will never increase your speeds over what you get when you first connect, it always connects at full speed then DLM reduces it if necessary.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 17-May-12 08:46:36
Print Post

[re: qasdfdsaq] [link to this post]

The FTTC one I quoted does in fact say that in the quote smile, but I agree that with more than 140 characters before that bit some may not see it tongue. Maybe the English is too complex for BT Wholesale to understand, as the top brass don't even understand the same principle is also true on their own ADSLx ones.

What may be the case on WBC-routed FTTC is that the IP Profile is set low at connection time, like the 2000 on ADSLx sometimes is or used to be. That could explain the persistance of this myth. But given that the IP Profile now rises immediately the sync is set that would also show their lack of realisation that what may have been true years ago under a rickety ADSL Max DLM is no longer correct.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-May-12 15:34:25
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

RobertoS

I think the definition of this may need better explaining. When I first got FTTC, the BT engineer did a test and said I was getting 35mb down. However he said that this speed may change over the next few days and so it did down to approx 30mb and thats where it sat until profile 17a came along. So in summary I think from my experience that there is some stability issues at the start which then settle down?

Regards

MrG

Remember: Amateurs...built the ark.
Professionals...built the Titanic

All spelling and grammatical errors are left in on purpose
Standard User new2fibre
(newbie) Fri 18-May-12 16:25:34
Print Post

[re: BT_Care] [link to this post]

Many thanks for all the replies. I have been trying to get another engineer out to work on the line. So far, I've been told over the phone by BT that there are several errors on the line and that the highest speed I can ever possibly expect is 3.6 Mb. This is only just over a third of the 9.1 Mb I was originally quoted in writing.

At the end of the day, I am paying £26 a month for a supposedly superfast connection whereas previously I was only paying £10.50 a month with Plusnet. I wouldn't have minded paying so much more to gain a speed around 9.1 Mb but I feel somewhat cheated that I am only getting 3.1 Mb so far.

I am hoping that it will be possible to resolve the errors on the line and that the speed will increase but if not, have I any case for requesting a reduced monthly charge as the speed is more in line with the basic £13 a month service than the Option 3 service. I am about to start working from home so I was looking to acquire a fast a connection as possible.
Standard User qasdfdsaq
(member) Fri 18-May-12 18:04:04
Print Post

I believe Openreach provides a right to cancel within 90 days if your achieved speed is less than 50% of your estimated speed.

In order to cancel Openreach must be given an opportunity to fix the fault, doesn't look like BT are co-operating so far though.
Standard User new2fibre
(newbie) Mon 21-May-12 10:10:59
Print Post

[re: qasdfdsaq] [link to this post]

Many thanks for the information. I haven't checked the small print yet so I didn't realise I could cancel if the speed is under 50%. It's only been running at 30% since the installation. Realistically then, I couldn't cancel if BT get the speed up to over 5 MB but even that relatively low speed looks unlikely.

Does anyone know if the 1.2 mile distance from the cabinet is preventing me from gaining a faster speed than 3 MB? Is it possible that some tweaking to the line will improve the speed or is the 1.2 mile distance ultimately going to prove impossible to improve? The irony is that there is a cabinet only 0.6 mile away but for some strange reason I am not connected to this one.

Edited by new2fibre (Mon 21-May-12 10:12:18)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to