User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Annemt
(newbie) Sun 20-May-12 16:14:48
Print Post

Fttc Speed

[link to this post]

Hi all i had fiber installed on the 3rd april i have a long line i was told i would get about 13.4 meg download but i only get between 3 and 4 meg when it was first connected it was 12 meg but it has dropped and no one seems to want to know ,any suggestions what i can do .Regards Anne
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-May-12 16:17:00
Print Post

Re: Fttc Speed

[re: Annemt] [link to this post]

Do a speedtest at http://speedtester.bt.com/ and post the results here.

To show you what we're looking for, my test result comes back with...

Download speed achieved during the test was - 73 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 12 Mbps-77.39 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 77.39 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 17.43Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

Ade

vDSL2 FTTC Infinity with BT
DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps

Edited by adebov (Sun 20-May-12 16:19:19)

Standard User Annemt
(newbie) Sun 20-May-12 16:34:26
Print Post

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

this was one i did on the 17th .
best effort test download speed 3mbps download speed acheived during the test was 3mbps ,for your connection the accepable range of speeds is 2.58-3.68 mbps upstream test 0.61 mbps max achievable speed is 2 mbps
Regards Anne

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-May-12 17:06:14
Print Post

Well the results are missing the IP profile but it's normally the higher figure contained in "the accepable range of speeds is 2.58-3.68 Mbps" (note; it's Mega-bits per seconds (Mbps), not mbps - which would be milli-bits per second - a really tiny figure). So, according to the BT test site, there's nothing wrong (BT don't normally class "to slow...long line" as a fault - unfortunately).

Were you still getting 12Mbps at the end of the 10 day learning period (or whatever made up name BT have for the first 10 days after connection), or had it dropped before the 10 days were up?

If you used to get 12Mbps, and had that at the end of the 10 days, you could try reporting a fault as the fault threshold, for acceptable speed, should be significantly higher than 3.68Mbps (just be aware of BT's habit of charging for visits they diagnose as "no fault found").

I assume you've tried all the usual first-step stuff (rebooting the modem and Home Hub)?

Ade

DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Standard User Annemt
(newbie) Sun 20-May-12 17:18:31
Print Post

Hi sorry about the M ,as to your question it was installed on the 3rd of april and speed was 12 meg + on the 6th of april it was 9 and then it just dropped to 4 Meg ,and the connection keeps dropping. an engineer came out and checked the line and said nothing wrong with it he said it should have never been installed ,he said bt would get in touch but they havnt and i was gettiong over 6 Meg on 02 llu so i dont understand why its so bad,when i last spoke to bt they said my complaint had been escalated to the highest level and i would recieve a call back within 24 hours, i am still waiting. i just wanted to know what my options are if any Regards Anne
profile 17a upspeed 1092 downspeed 3834 snr up 64 snr down 45 those are the present line stats regards Anne

Edited by Annemt (Sun 20-May-12 17:26:01)

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-May-12 17:28:30
Print Post

I'm not too sure you have many options (other than getting BT to terminate the connection and your contract, allowing you to go back to O2 LLU).

The reasons why your FTTC speed is so much lower than your ADSL2+ speed (you would have been on ADSL2+ with O2) is basically down to cable length.
FTTC uses VDSL2 which degrades, as the line gets longer, at a different (faster) rate to the speed degradation over ADSL products. ADSL is better, than VDSL, over very long lines.
Whilst FTTC (VDSL2) is perfect for those of us on really long lines back to the exchange (as we now only have to get the signal back to the local street cabinet) - I was lucky to get just over 4Mbps using ADSL2+ (after a lot of tweaking), VDSL is quite poor if your line length (back to the local street cabinet) is very long.

Eventually you get to a point where the line to the cabinet is so long, you'd actually be better off trying to squirt an old ADSL signal all the way back to the exchange.
It appears you're beyond this point and the engineer was possibly correct in saying it should never have been installed (although when first connected, you were a bit borderline - possibly the installing engineer thought it worth leaving).

Then again; you could have a line fault (although I'd have thought this would have been the first thing checked by the called out engineer).

Did you have any luck rebooting the modem & home hub (or have you just left them alone since installation)?

Ade

DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps

Edited by adebov (Sun 20-May-12 17:29:12)

Standard User Annemt
(newbie) Sun 20-May-12 17:34:14
Print Post

Hi Rebooted restarted and generally tweaked and messed no joy ,when i last spoke to bt they mentiond fault on line but i have not heard anything from them at all for a couple of weeks Regards Anne
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-May-12 17:44:31
Print Post

Call them back (don't assume they'll remember to attend to your problem, as BT's Indian call centre is useless and computers don't remember to call you back - assuming anybody bothered entering a note to look at your fault in the first place!).

Ade

DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Standard User Annemt
(newbie) Sun 20-May-12 19:20:27
Print Post

I dont wantto go through the hassle again, last time i called them i was passed to 9 different people Regards Anne
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-May-12 21:10:08
Print Post

You could send a private message to BT_care (on these forums). They're a lot more useful than the script jockeys in India.
BT_care helped me when between them, Openreach, BT Wholesale and BT retail managed to completely mess up my first FTTC installation.
Failing that you could take the road of last resort and e-mail the BT CEO (Ian Livingston) on ian.livingston@bt.com - many have got action only by e-mailing the CEO.
Now it's a sorry state of affairs when e-mailing the CEO is the only way to get routine stuff done by people way down the chain but sooner, or later, Ian Livingston will grasp that his company's support "help" line is next to useless and he'll actually do something about it (assuming he ever gets to see these e-mails and they aren't hoovered off by his PA). Eventually the guy has to get fed up with being bothered by individual customers (my guess is he's got better things to do with his time) and he'll start kicking some butts!

Ade

DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps

Edited by adebov (Sun 20-May-12 21:10:54)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to