User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User champagnedrinker
(newbie) Mon 28-May-12 23:32:33
Print Post

Data Extension cable

[link to this post]

I'm contemplating moving to Infinity - at present, my master socket is both v. old & also right by the front door - so, not near a socket, nor anywhere near the computer (I prefer to have the main one with a wired connection - and in any case, the room it's currently in is pretty central in the house & overlooks the garden, so good coverage smile
However, a query about the data extension cable ... what colour are they? And, if they're not white, are they just ordinary ethernet cable, or something special? (I can easily buy white ethernet - so could persuade him to either use mine, or just not attach his to the wall ...)
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 29-May-12 21:37:59
Print Post

Re: Data Extension cable

[re: champagnedrinker] [link to this post]

The internal is white, the external is black.

If you don't require voice from the existing NTE, then the engineer can shift the NTE.

Standard User ajs1984
(newbie) Tue 29-May-12 22:46:27
Print Post

[re: champagnedrinker] [link to this post]

When the engineer came to install my service, he said they were generally fine with "whatever worked". I got him to connect the modem to a self-installed ethernet cable I'd already routed around my property. If you don't want to rejig your phone wiring, I'm sure they'll be fine wall-mounting the modem and then running an ethernet cable to the router or PC you want connected.

On the other hand, it's a good opportunity to take advantage of the free master socket re-siting. It depends if you get a real OpenReach engineer or a contractor. If it's the former they'll probably do a neater job of it than you could.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User champagnedrinker
(newbie) Tue 29-May-12 23:14:27
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Thanks both!
(Is the NTE the Master Socket, or the Modem?) Whatever, good to know they're reasonably flexible - I know my ideal would be to have a new Master Socket by the door & an ethernet extension cable to the study. And, yes, bet he'll tear his hair out when he sees the existing extension tacked up the stairs!
(There's an open reach bloke down my road, I think, or one who likes parking his van in the street at any rate)
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 30-May-12 19:02:52
Print Post

[re: ajs1984] [link to this post]

I'm sure they'll be fine wall-mounting the modem and then running an ethernet cable to the router or PC you want connected.

No, they can shift they NTE, or fit a data extension kit to provide the modem where required, they cannot run an ethernet cable from the modem to the router, it's not carried.

Standard User deathtrap3000
(newbie) Fri 15-Jun-12 21:01:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
they cannot run an ethernet cable from the modem to the router, it's not carried.
2pair cat 5 can be used as an ethernet cable between the hub and modem. Ive done it before at the request of an eu.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sat 16-Jun-12 18:41:21
Print Post

[re: deathtrap3000] [link to this post]

So, the statement it's not carried is correct then ?

Standard User deathtrap3000
(newbie) Tue 19-Jun-12 20:19:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
So, the statement it's not carried is correct then ?
Well, I carry 4 pair cat 5, and most engineers carry 2 pair cat 5, both can be used as ethernet cable. So no that statement would not be correct.
  Print Thread

Jump to