User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User stilloptimistik
(newbie) Mon 04-Jun-12 18:35:37
Print Post

Effects of powering off the modem and hub.

[link to this post]

When the engineer installed BT Infinity, he advised me not to power off for any length of time. Discussing other issues, I forgot to ask him to elaborate on this.

After the free speed upgrade to 80/20, my IP Profile settled at 47.54/20. After a subsequent short power failure this became 46.21/20 and has remained at that.

I had, before Infinity, been used to powering all my kit off at night, but have now put the modem and hub on a separate socket and leave them on. However I am not happy about leaving stuff on when on holiday, so can one of you techies please explain the downside of powering off hub and modem for say 2 weeks?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 04-Jun-12 18:51:57
Print Post

Re: Effects of powering off the modem and hub.

[re: stilloptimistik] [link to this post]

No downside at all.

Also if you power cycle during daylight there's a fair chance you will get your previous speed back. I'm guessing the power cut was late in the day.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 04-Jun-12 19:00:41)

(newbie) Mon 04-Jun-12 19:07:03
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the re-assurance but still leaves me puzzling why the engineer drew attention to it.

I didn't power on at all - the hub and modem have been powered on continuously since the Infinity installation. A power blip knocked everything off and then came back within seconds and brought everything up again. It would have been in the evening though because I remember the light going off as well.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Mon 04-Jun-12 19:15:15
Print Post

Forget last paragraph, this was in reply to your original post. Saw your edit too late.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 04-Jun-12 20:17:06
Print Post

No problems with turning off really, other than when you do it multiple times in an hour/day making the system look unstable.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 04-Jun-12 23:29:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by stilloptimistik:
Thanks for the re-assurance but still leaves me puzzling why the engineer drew attention to it.
It if mattered at all, it was only for the first two days after first ever connection. Though bear in mind what MrSaffron said, as that is also true.

I usually turn mine off when I go away. Certainly when it is a week or more, maybe not when it's only a weekend. If I ever go to an 80/nn service I will behave in exactly the same way. The system doesn't care about even a daily switch-off.

If you want to take a compromise course, leave the modem turned on normally, as that is what connects to the DSLAM in the cabinet and is the only thing that could get upset, and turn the router off at night. Turning the router off is not an issue under any circumstances, though best to close the PPP session first. Then turn the modem off as well when going away.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(newbie) Tue 05-Jun-12 01:01:29
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks to you both for the info.

Perhaps I should have realised it was BS as he wasn't one of the better engineers. He gleefully adopted my DIY wiring of 2006 and could get a connection on his own kit but not on my PC or laptop and left suggesting I contact support. Once he'd left, the penny soon dropped that he hadn't loaded any software. Once I used the BT Home Hub Setup CD I was away. All his talking was obviously to disguise the fact that he'd had 5 minutes training on Infinity.
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Tue 05-Jun-12 05:27:15
Print Post

Not turning the router off makes the system see stability

Generally though with fibre turning it off is not an issue however 99% of routers aren't turned off. I see all of my neighbours networks 24/7

I'm actually away from home ATM & left the router on. Don't think I've ever actually consciously turned it off

It all depends really if you're the kind of person that leaves things on standby. I personally live in a household with lots of people so it's impossible to police what's left on.

That said when nobodies here for long periods of time absolutely everything is left turned on. If you are not comfortable living like that turn it off!
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 05-Jun-12 08:22:37
Print Post

Once he'd left, the penny soon dropped that he hadn't loaded any software. Once I used the BT Home Hub Setup CD I was away. All his talking was obviously to disguise the fact that he'd had 5 minutes training on Infinity.
No need for the software at all.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 05-Jun-12 08:41:27
Print Post

Thanks to you both for the info.

Perhaps I should have realised it was BS as he wasn't one of the better engineers. He gleefully adopted my DIY wiring of 2006 and could get a connection on his own kit but not on my PC or laptop and left suggesting I contact support. Once he'd left, the penny soon dropped that he hadn't loaded any software. Once I used the BT Home Hub Setup CD I was away. All his talking was obviously to disguise the fact that he'd had 5 minutes training on Infinity.
In fact, this is all bad news.

He shouldn't have used your own wiring, he should have installed a new master socket and the modem should have been connected directly to that. Your existing wiring should then have been connected to the phone side only of the new master.

He should also have got one device of yours working and showing full speed.

It sounds like your IP profile is suffering and you should report this faulty install to your ISP and get it fixed.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to