User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User trolleybus
(learned) Wed 06-Jun-12 11:51:16
Print Post

New Broadband Service + Phone Line

[link to this post]

I placed an order for a new line + Broadband using BTs web site; no issues there.

Installation is scheduled for the 20th June.

I was asked to setup an email address with associated password and this detail is indicated on the order acknowledgement.

What I find is that the email address is currently unrecognized in web mail and when this was quirried with BT it was stated that it wouldn't be until the service was activated. I just don't believe that statement.

What is pretty obvious to me is that when the installation is completed it is not going to magically invoke the creation of the email account. So when will it be setup so that its use is possible at least by web mail access?

By the way setting up a service online when you don't yet have a phone line or email address is quite frustrating. So you use the phone number at work and the email address the company provided to you. Whether any of that detail can be updated in due course, I don't know but ringing support without being able to giving your own phone number takes you on a scenic ride round button options where none are relevant. BT ought to sit on the customer side of their operations to tidy their act up.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 06-Jun-12 12:07:36
Print Post

Re: New Broadband Service + Phone Line

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

Its easy to set up a gmail or hotmail email address.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 06-Jun-12 12:12:20
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

It will be activated - but it not guaranteed to happen before the date of service activation.

When you call support they will ask for the Broadband phone number and you will be able to get them to mark your work number as an alternative number along with a mobile and at te same time, making your new number teh primary for contact.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User trolleybus
(learned) Wed 06-Jun-12 12:29:41
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
It will be activated - but it not guaranteed to happen before the date of service activation.

When you call support they will ask for the Broadband phone number and you will be able to get them to mark your work number as an alternative number along with a mobile and at te same time, making your new number teh primary for contact.

Not sure if my comment should be before or after the quote; sorry if I have it round the wrong way this time.

As for email activation just prior to or on the day, that seems to be the BT way of doing things. It is not like that with other ISPs whom I have dealt with the email service available very soon after placing the order. In this case it would have been very handy for early activitation.

As for giving a hotmail account as the contact address, hmm, never thought about that at the time.
  Print Thread

Jump to