User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User trolleybus
(learned) Wed 06-Jun-12 11:59:35
Print Post

Re: BT Yahoo Email Security Upgrade (Error 553)

[link to this post]

Why is it not possible / permitted to comment upon the posting about BT Yahoo Email Security Upgrade (Error 553)????????????
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 06-Jun-12 12:03:32
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

Well, you just did, but that post is a sticky for information.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User trolleybus
(learned) Wed 06-Jun-12 12:53:55
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Well, you just did, but that post is a sticky for information.

Not really, it was a new thread that I started.

Of course the name of the game here is MAIL RELAY so it makes a lot of sense to have measured security protocols in place to prevent abuse.The posting makes it appear to be SO straightforward to abide by BTs rules for legitimate users not to be troubled with this issue but is limited to instances where web mail facilities are being used. It is a very different ball game if you are using MS Outlook with your own domain name through BTs SMTP server.

I have had extensive contact with BT over this issue and it boils down to absoutley no problems if the device [desktop/laptop/whatever] remains in the office nor if the said device never goes near the office. The problem is with portable devices that may spend time in the office and at other times elsewhere.

Now I would like to hear from anyone who has a laptop where their email client, say MS Oulook uses their own domain name, and is able to use BTs SMTP servers both in the office and elsewhere without having to reconfigure their setup according to geographical location.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Jun-12 13:16:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by trolleybus:
The posting makes it appear to be SO straightforward to abide by BTs rules for legitimate users not to be troubled with this issue but is limited to instances where web mail facilities are being used.
No it isn't! Quite the reverse! When you are using SMTP you are not using Webmail; you are using some mail client from your PC.

I read that sticky to say you need to perform a one-off WebMail operation to register a non-BT addy prior to using that addy to send via BT's SMTP from a mail client any time in the future.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User trolleybus
(learned) Wed 06-Jun-12 16:28:10
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
The posting makes it appear to be SO straightforward to abide by BTs rules for legitimate users not to be troubled with this issue but is limited to instances where web mail facilities are being used.

No it isn't! Quite the reverse! When you are using SMTP you are not using Webmail; you are using some mail client from your PC.

I read that sticky to say you need to perform a one-off WebMail operation to register a non-BT addy prior to using that addy to send via BT's SMTP from a mail client any time in the future.

Paragraph 1 - Yes I fully understand that.

Paragraph 2 - Clearly you have never been through the process of registering your own domain name so that you are entitled to use BTs SMTP server[s] with an email client. My view is that the notes only apply if using web-mail. My experience was that it took three days to provide the facility and then there was a different setup depending on whether you were connect to broadband at home or another geographical location which might be connected to a broadband service provided by another provider.

If you have a laptop user who is not tech savvy, he really screws up the settings so that nothing works.

Yes you can use the SMTP server provided by the domain provider but such servers tend to have a poor reputation thus preventing emails from being delivered.

BTs less than helpful response was to use Office360 but been there, read the book etc. No thank you, I like to be in charge of my own destiny!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 06-Jun-12 22:28:51
Print Post

Yes you can use the SMTP server provided by the domain provider but such servers tend to have a poor reputation thus preventing emails from being delivered.
Only if you use a cheap as possible provider. Decent providers are much more reliable than many ISP services.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Jun-12 23:20:26
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Decent providers are much more reliable than many ISP services.
Unfair denigration of ISP email services. Never had an unsent/undelivered msg from various ISP's SMTPs; Orange, O2, AOL Tiscali/TT to name a few + non-ISPs Hotmail & GMail.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User trolleybus
(learned) Wed 06-Jun-12 23:36:54
Print Post

Only if you use a cheap as possible provider. Decent providers are much more reliable than many ISP services.

Interesting your comment, but without listing your thoughts on the top notch hosting providers I can't determine whether it is factually correct. It remains my belief that a continuing high reputation is only actually possible if a single domain is hosted on your own IP address. Anything else is pure luck that doesn't see a reputation downgraded even if it is for a short while.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 07-Jun-12 23:03:21
Print Post

It remains my belief that a continuing high reputation is only actually possible if a single domain is hosted on your own IP address. Anything else is pure luck that doesn't see a reputation downgraded even if it is for a short while.
?
You've lost me there. Your ISP hosts rather a large number of domains, and may even out-source the service. (In your case, so far as I know Yahoo is completely independent of BT, but could be providing a badged dedicated "BT Yahoo" service. That is still out-sourcing).

I don't see what your IP address has to do with the subject. First, domains are not hosted on your IP address. Second, domains and email servers are different beasties, they don't need to be hosted at the same place. Third, in your particular case, unless you are on a BT Business connection you have a dynamically allocated IP address.

I don't understand the second sentence.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User trolleybus
(learned) Fri 08-Jun-12 10:56:07
Print Post

It remains my belief that a continuing high reputation is only actually possible if a single domain is hosted on your own IP address. Anything else is pure luck that doesn't see a reputation downgraded even if it is for a short while.
?
You've lost me there. Your ISP hosts rather a large number of domains, and may even out-source the service. (In your case, so far as I know Yahoo is completely independent of BT, but could be providing a badged dedicated "BT Yahoo" service. That is still out-sourcing).

I don't see what your IP address has to do with the subject. First, domains are not hosted on your IP address. Second, domains and email servers are different beasties, they don't need to be hosted at the same place. Third, in your particular case, unless you are on a BT Business connection you have a dynamically allocated IP address.

I don't understand the second sentence.

First of all let me say I have a high regard with your knowledge on a whole host of subjects and I can only assume on this occasion that I have not stated my position clearly. So let's try again.

Posting this message is not from the domain in question nor through the same ISP.

My comments relate to a BT Infinity broadband service used in conjunction with web hosting from a company that also handles our domain registration. The web site is on their servers together with the created email addresses. Our domain sits on a server that also hosts in excess of 500 other domains but of course we all share the same IP address.

Now on the email side of things POP3 points to the hosting providers server but for SMTP facilities it was strongly recommended that the ISPs SMTP server is used. The ISPs SMTP server, especially if it is BT, will always have a high reputation whereas the hosting provider's server will frequently, or permanently, have a low reputation, it all depends on what the other domain users on the same IP are up to.

For the record, it is a BT Business connection with a fixed IP provided as there is a need for home workers to access facilities in the office. These home workers have a laptop which they will bring to the office from time to time. It is our choice to use MS Outlook on those machines. The staff numbers do not warrant, nor is it affordable, to use a server.

If we use BTs SMTP server we are frustrated to find that the email client's configuration is different depending whether the laptop is in the office or used at home. I would stress this is BTs way opf doing things and is not the same as other ISPs approach which is through authentication which works no matter where you are geographically located or the ISP used.

If we use the hosting providers SMTP server the above issues do not surface but almost certainly that server's IP address will have a low reputation resulting in our emails being rejected in a number of cases. There as absolutely nothing we, or the hosting provider, can do about this low reputation.

Now I am pretty sure that other BT Infinity users must have been presented with this problem and I am interested to learn if they have found a solution. Hosting facilities are costing us an arm and a leg so we have not gone for a "cheap as chips" provider. Personally I am surprised that BT can't, or won't, offer a solution to this problem.

RobertOS response just muddies the water and introduces statements which IMHO are quite unrelated. But I could be wrong, after all I am just an end user struggling to get the best for other staff members.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to