User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 08-Jun-12 16:00:43
Print Post

Re: BT Yahoo Email Security Upgrade (Error 553)

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

Well if it doesn't work, please post as much detail as possible about the errors returned. Is it returning error 553?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 08-Jun-12 18:04:02
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

(I hadn't realised that by "bad reputation" you apparently meant spam blacklisting. I thought you just meant having a tendency to fall over and be generally unreliable smile).

XRaySpeX made a suggestion earlier which isn't suitable for what you want. This one:-
Simples! Set up 2 almost identical accounts in your email client for your hosted email addy:
My Domain @ Work with Outgoing Server = BT's SMTP
My Domain @ Home with Outgoing Server = Home's SMTP
I believe he has hit the right principle. In the email client you set up two almost identical accounts, one for work use with the appropriate settings, and one for outside use with the different ones.

When sending or replying to emails you then get a choice of sending account to use. I would have thought that, (unless these laptops are for work use only), they already have this happening, with a choice between the work and personal accounts.

Amongst others, here I have four client accounts on the same email address, so that we can easily specify the sender.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 08-Jun-12 18:40:58
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

confused
In reply to a post by RobertoS:
XRaySpeX made a suggestion earlier which isn't suitable for what you want.
Eh! You mean it's entirely suitable?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 08-Jun-12 19:03:49
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

No, because your second "account" I understood to use the Home ISP's SMTP. He wants to use the BT SMTP. Otherwise yes smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 08-Jun-12 20:19:55
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
He wants to use the BT SMTP.
He may have wanted to use BT SMTP from home, but at the time of writing, he had never found a non-port 25 BT SMTP and the only port 25 BT SMTP that he was aware of would be blocked at home by many ISPs, and so was unusable at home.

Therefore my suggestion is the only workable solution on all home ISPs whether or not a non-port 25 BT SMTP is ascertained.

Of course now, if a non-port 25 authenticated BT SMTP can be verified, as BatBoy suggests but has yet to confirm as official from BT and not just some Goggle rumour, then you would only need 1 a/c in mail client utilising this non-port 25 BT SMTP both home and away.

I note that in your post, despite criticising my eminently suitable method, you do not actually specify the settings other than being a generalisation of my specifics.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 08-Jun-12 20:29:59
Print Post

It's easy to confirm: telnet mail.btconnect.com 587

Anyway, the problem he explained is using auth-smtp on port 25 in the office. It's all working at home.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 08-Jun-12 20:43:59
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Still no proof!
In reply to a post by BatBoy:
telnet mail.btconnect.com 587
Fails!

Whereas 'telnet smtp.live.com 587' connects OK, so it can't be Orange blocking port 587.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 08-Jun-12 20:45:42
Print Post

Do you really think you should have access to the BT business email server?

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 08-Jun-12 21:02:16
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Well, yes, at this initial TELNET level.

Until I attempt to authenticate it won't know I'm me and not an authorised user grin. TELNET does not use cookies to remember PCs/users.

As confirmation, I'm not an authorised user of UCLMail (on port 26), but can successfully enter the greeting stage of 'telnet mail.uclmail.net 26'.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 08-Jun-12 21:13:23
Print Post

what about mail.btinternet.com ?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to