User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Loki_at_Ragnarok
(newbie) Tue 26-Jun-12 22:47:12
Print Post

New Infinity Install - Can't close port 161 with workaround_

[link to this post]

I've just moved to Infinity (new phone line) on Friday, I can see port 161 and 4567 are open on the BT Home Hub 3 Model B*, a bit of checking and theres apparently a work around forwarding it to an unused IP to effectivley close (link below).

Works fine for 4567 but can't get it to work with 161 so I'm back to my old Draytek 2910** but restricted to around 30Mbit as a result.

I'm confident that I've done as instructed but can't find any other reports of the failure (perhaps a new software version closing the workaround?).

Before I dig deep for a replacement router sooner rather than later (the HH is poor even ignoring 161 issues but money is tight), are ther any new users with similar issues.......or the same software version that want to shout PEBKAC/User error?

I realise some might say a bit of a tin foil hat issue, but I don't want them sniffing inside my LAN as they have done with others in the past, I don't hold BT security in high regard either.

BT Port 161/4567 port forward workaround
*Software Version V100R001C01B031SP09_L_B
**BeThere still on the other WAN Port (but only 30 days left on contract)
Standard User BP1
(committed) Wed 27-Jun-12 17:19:33
Print Post

Re: New Infinity Install - Can't close port 161 with workaro

[re: Loki_at_Ragnarok] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Loki_at_Ragnarok:
I've just moved to Infinity (new phone line) on Friday, I can see port 161 and 4567 are open on the BT Home Hub 3 Model B*, a bit of checking and theres apparently a work around forwarding it to an unused IP to effectivley close (link below).

Works fine for 4567 but can't get it to work with 161 so I'm back to my old Draytek 2910** but restricted to around 30Mbit as a result.

I'm confident that I've done as instructed but can't find any other reports of the failure (perhaps a new software version closing the workaround?).

Before I dig deep for a replacement router sooner rather than later (the HH is poor even ignoring 161 issues but money is tight), are ther any new users with similar issues.......or the same software version that want to shout PEBKAC/User error?

I realise some might say a bit of a tin foil hat issue, but I don't want them sniffing inside my LAN as they have done with others in the past, I don't hold BT security in high regard either.

BT Port 161/4567 port forward workaround
*Software Version V100R001C01B031SP09_L_B
**BeThere still on the other WAN Port (but only 30 days left on contract)

I did the port forwarding as stated on this site
http://punj-technology.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/bt-hom...

Both ports 161 and 4567 show stealthed on my homehub version 3 with the port scanner at gibson Research.
No reason why the instructions wont work for you.

Regards

BP1

BTBroadband

"When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane"
(newbie) Wed 27-Jun-12 22:20:27
Print Post

[re: BP1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BP1:
I did the port forwarding as stated on this site
http://punj-technology.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/bt-hom...

Both ports 161 and 4567 show stealthed on my homehub version 3 with the port scanner at gibson Research.
No reason why the instructions wont work for you.

Thanks BP1, I did see that Punj Tech Blog before I posted, tried it and alas it doesn't work (and just gave it another, same result).

I also tried looking at others, but the instuctions are basically the same. I've tried different IP etc, ran scans on my network to make sure I'd not missed a device. GRC shows me stealthed fully on my Draytek2910 so I doubt it's something else on my LAN, the HH always shows 161 open.

Incidentally unless I'm doing something wrong* I think the Punj blog is wrongly copied from another site, my HH3b won't let you do steps 5 & 6 before 7 & 8 (you have to select a Game/Application before you can apply an IP to Devices (else the HH errors/rejects)).

Odder still while writting this I've experimented further, deleted the rule completley, restared the HH, 161 is open, yet 4567 is stealthed but I've not got a forward rule at all!

I'm at a loss. Can you confirm your a version B HH and the software version is as my first post please?
Regards,
Loki

*I did get 4567 from open to stealthed and I'm usually good at following a script (I did 10+ years in system test) but still human/tired.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 27-Jun-12 22:39:24
Print Post

Alternative script here but you may have to mix-n-match http://btybb.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/32...

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User Matt182
(member) Thu 28-Jun-12 13:15:43
Print Post

Re: New Infinity Install - Can't close port 161 with workaro *DELETED*

Post deleted by Matt182
Standard User Matt182
(member) Thu 28-Jun-12 13:20:13
Print Post

I could not get that port to close either, I host lots of different games and services that require ports to be opened so its not like this is new to me.

If you are really that worried I would replace the HH.

-------------------------------------------------------------
# TISCALI -> freeserve -> Wanadoo -> plusnet -> ZeN -> ADSL24 -> ZeN -> Sky -> BTInfinity Option 2

BT FTTC
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2033788623.png
Standard User BP1
(committed) Thu 28-Jun-12 17:17:09
Print Post

Just checked my BT HH3 and its Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.57.1.3 (Type A)

I stealthed my ports sometime ago and remember carry out the instructions as the link. I cant recall having any problems. It all worked for me as the steps layed out.

You have re-booted after carrying the steps. Also the port forwarding IP is a unique IP not used by any other device?

Regards

BP1

BTBroadband

Standard User BP1
(committed) Thu 28-Jun-12 17:24:53
Print Post

Just checked mine again on the port scanner and it still shows all ports stealthed.

Don't no if this will work.
Is it worth putting a device on the network with a IP of 192.168.1.250 then
Configure the rules, Then
Take that device of the network and make sure you dont use that device on that IP address again.

Sound if the HH V3 type B has buggy firmware

Regards

BP1

BTBroadband

(newbie) Thu 28-Jun-12 21:46:39
Print Post

[re: Matt182] [link to this post]

Cheers, yep looks like thats what I'll be doing, if only my 6 year old 2910 could handle more than 30Mb, the brand new HH3b isn't a patch on it except for throughput.
(newbie) Thu 28-Jun-12 22:07:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by BP1:
Just checked my BT HH3 and its Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.57.1.3 (Type A)

I stealthed my ports sometime ago and remember carry out the instructions as the link. I cant recall having any problems. It all worked for me as the steps layed out.

You have re-booted after carrying the steps. Also the port forwarding IP is a unique IP not used by any other device?

Cheers again for the help BP1, yep rebooted, sure there are no other devices (and have tried a few random ports as well, just TCP) alas no luck.

I might try my luck with BT support, but to be honest while they do have some good people, I don't rate/trust them as an organisation (I do know a few current/ex BT staff) .....the staff are let down by their org/managers IMHO.

Will have to read up on the current generation of routers (the HH is so basic I don't think even a firmware fix would tide me over for long).

Thanks again,
Loki.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to