User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Youngy
(member) Mon 02-Jul-12 12:41:05
Print Post

Location of Openreach modem and Home Hub (BT Infinity 2)

[link to this post]

In my previous property I asked the BT engineer to locate the modem/HH in an upstairs study and this was no problem, no extra cabling required (master socket was in kitchen) all extension sockets still work fine.
I moved home and had BT Infinity 2 installed, phone line enabled same day. The house was built in 2007 so has extensions in all the rooms. Looks like the master socket is in the cupboard under the stairs. Although the previous occupier obviously had the openreach modem and home hub located in the lounge, as the mounting screws etc were still there. Here none of the extensions work, the engineer said this is a side effect of moving the master socket. But why was this possible in my previous house?

BTInfinity 2
Standard User StephenTodd
(member) Mon 02-Jul-12 16:34:02
Print Post

Re: Location of Openreach modem and Home Hub (BT Infinity 2)

[re: Youngy] [link to this post]

Just a guess: In the old house they installed a special FTTC extension from the master to the upstairs study (high quality cable, filtered for FTTC). The other extensions from the master remained unchanged (now filtered for phone). In the new house they installed the master socket elsewhere and disconnected the old master and this the extensions connected from it.

--
Moved (with trepidation) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User Squirrel
(knowledge is power) Mon 02-Jul-12 20:01:31
Print Post

When I had Infinity installed a year ago last March my master socket was moved by the BT engineer from downstairs to upstairs. All the 3 extension sockets I have in the house continued to work after the move.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User blinky
(committed) Tue 03-Jul-12 18:03:40
Print Post

[re: Squirrel] [link to this post]

Sounds like the engineer wanted to get away. There's no reason why the extensions shouldn't work.
Standard User Youngy
(member) Tue 24-Jul-12 15:09:31
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

Spoken to BT who said they can send a technician to fix this, but will be chargeable at £130. Annoying as they should have sorted during the rushed install.

BTInfinity 2
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 24-Jul-12 16:28:43
Print Post

Not sure from your original post. Were the extensions working before the engineer installed FTTC on his visit? If not then BT are not responsible for anything beyond the master socket and the FTTC install does not include making existing extensions work. Sounds like the extensions were possibly disconnected before you moved into the house and so are your responsibility not BTs?
  Print Thread

Jump to