User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Axolotl
(regular) Tue 10-Jul-12 13:57:07
Print Post

BT Speed tester upload fails

[link to this post]

Hi,
for the last few weeks, I have been unable to complete a BT Speedtester test on my line because the upload test fails and returns an error "An Error has occurred" "Test Error - The system is currently busy. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider"

I have tried many times at all hours of the day and night and the result is the same.

The download completes successfuly, and shows 100% complete, the upload appears to complete to 100%, then the error shows. If I monitor network traffic, there is no upload data being sent, even while the test progress bar is shown increasing to 100%..

Other speed tests e.g. JDAST are working fine and showing 11.9 Mbps down and 750 -ish up.

I want to use the BT test to show awhat my IP profile is set to from time to time.

Any ideas why it is not working?

Ta,

Cheers,

Axolotl
Standard User G3UZF
(committed) Tue 10-Jul-12 14:31:25
Print Post

Re: BT Speed tester upload fails

[re: Axolotl] [link to this post]

The BT Speed Test site is very 'iffy', sometimes it works as expected, othertimes it reports nonsense and then, on occasions, fails completely to run (as of the time of posting this).

Persevere dear boy....

Allergy Advice: This post may contain traces of Meerkats.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 10-Jul-12 14:53:35
Print Post

Yes, I've been getting the same thing- are you using a Mac?

It stopped for me after Apple's latest Java update (OS X 10.6.8), still works fine on my old Vista laptop.

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User stevetoza
(newbie) Tue 10-Jul-12 15:09:56
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

I have been having the same issue using a Mac since the last update also.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Jul-12 15:16:25
Print Post

The upload speeds are not that important; you can get them from anywhere. BT Speeetester is mostly useful/essential for the Down IPP.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User Axolotl
(regular) Tue 10-Jul-12 15:18:01
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

I'm on a PC running XP Pro, so not MAC specific, but I do remember a Java update around the time the trouble started.

It could be that. Thx.

Cheers,

Axolotl
Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 10-Jul-12 15:19:35
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
The upload speeds are not that important; you can get them from anywhere. BT Speeetester is mostly useful/essential for the Down IPP.
Yes, but on a Mac it doesn't currently give the profile because the lack of upload screws up the test frown

Beats me why there isn't a way to just get profile figures without doing the whole speedtest, it would save everybody a fair bit of bandwidth.

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Axolotl
(regular) Tue 10-Jul-12 15:20:26
Print Post

[re: G3UZF] [link to this post]

I shall endeavour to persevere, but when this sort of thing has happened with speedtester in the past, one or two goes usually sees it work again.

This has been going on for weeks now.

Anyone know of another way to get the current IP Profile setting?

Cheers,

Axolotl
Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 10-Jul-12 15:27:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by Axolotl:
Anyone know of another way to get the current IP Profile setting?
The only other way I know of is to ask your ISP crazy

One thing to try- make sure you haven't got any older versions of Java still on your machine, that can sometimes mess things up. I think there are instructions at java.com about how to get rid of them.

Otherwise revert to a previous version if you can (I don't think the latest version did anything vital), but I couldn't tell you how!

Bill
Standard User Axolotl
(regular) Tue 10-Jul-12 15:51:48
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Yes but...

The problem is that no end result never appears because the upload section fails. The tester keeps all its information to itself until the very end.

As I've said elsewhere on this thread, the only thing I'm after when using the BT Speedtester is the IP profile, which is the only figure I can't obtain anywhere else.

Unless you know different?

Cheers,

Axolotl
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to