User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User telcon
(newbie) Thu 19-Jul-12 23:18:54
Print Post

BT Infinity Same Price as Option 3 - Is There A Catch?

[link to this post]

I just got this letter inviting me to upgrade to "BT Infinity, the broadband of 2012".

It claims that as an Option 3 customer I "may not" need to pay any more to upgrade as Infinity 2 is £26 a month (plus BT line rental).

So will I or won't I have to pay more?

And if not, then why ar BT so eager for me to sign up?

What would your advice be? Should I upgrade?

I could use more speed, but at least Option 3 is reliable and I suppose the peak hours P2P throttling's just as bad on Infinity?
Standard User StephenTodd
(member) Fri 20-Jul-12 00:11:03
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity Same Price as Option 3 - Is There A Catch?

[re: telcon] [link to this post]

Main downside is that you will start a new 18 month contract.

I think you won't need to pay more.

The p2p throttling will be similar; many people are actually seeing fairly fast p2p speeds, much better than the throttling t&cs state.

Your download may be quite a bit faster (type your telephone number into http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProduc... to see an ESTIMATE).

You upload will almost certainly be a lot faster.

Infinity reliability is pretty good. People do see speed drops on Infinity. Unusual for it to be so bad it is worse than ADSL (for example, mine is down from 58 to 37, which is still double what I had on ADSL). Apart from one bug which is hitting some people who need to reset the router fairly often to get download speeds above 1Mb.

Some people see faster pings on Infinity, many see much slower pings (eg my BBC pings went from 19 on BE to 35 on Infinity).

If I were you I would upgrade. I was on a better ADSL package than Option 3 from a better ISP (BE) for less money than Option 3, and I decided to upgrade and I am pleased.

--
Moved (with trepidation) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User RobFlet
(experienced) Fri 20-Jul-12 18:32:51
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

The bug in the Type B firmware has a fix and is being rolled out ...

see the post near the end of this long set of reports ...

http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/Infinity-drop...

Rob

1999 Freeserve Dial up --> Freeserve Anytime ---> 2005 Wanadoo 512k BB ---> Jul 2009 Orange up 8 Megs(hah!) --> Nov 2009 O2 LLU -> Nov 2011 BT Infinity( getting 64 megs now on ethernet via TPlink homeplug 200's)

Dual Yamaha AW16G user using MIDI MMC for 16 tracks
Red5Audio Microphones

FujiFilm HS-10 User

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User telcon
(newbie) Fri 20-Jul-12 23:39:30
Print Post

[re: RobFlet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobFlet:
The bug in the Type B firmware has a fix and is being rolled out ...

see the post near the end of this long set of reports ...

Thanks for the heads-up.

It reminds me of that first white Home Hub that would never work long for me, although version 2's been great. That's why I've never been an early adopter.

I'll keep an eye on that thread and if it is just the firmware and a fix is forthcoming I'll upgrade then.
Standard User StephenTodd
(member) Sat 21-Jul-12 01:00:28
Print Post

[re: telcon] [link to this post]

The fix is now in the process of being rolled out. See the following thread to track its progress.
http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/Post-here-whe...

--
Moved (with trepidation) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
  Print Thread

Jump to