User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User hypnotist57
(committed) Thu 26-Jul-12 20:30:33
Print Post

New Infinity Order, Can I use Voyager 2500

[link to this post]

Hi I have been on BT ADSL now for 6years and were now setup in the village for infinity which I have just placed a order.

I have been using my BT Voyager 2500 as its far better than any homehubs I have used and rock solid. When they install my infinity next week will I still be able to use it ? Its configured with ports open for other stuff on the network including my sat tv and humax and with 2 buffalo ethernet adaptors for internet access in my workshop.

I have a homehub 3 which I never used but see its got a adsl connection and a red infinity connection on the rear, where as the BT Voyager 2500 just has a adsl connection so it looks like the answer maybe no ? but i read you can use other routers in place of the homehub and connected up to the infinity.

can anyone give me the missing bit of info in relation is my 2500 workable or dead in the water

Thanks
Dave
Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 27-Jul-12 00:54:13
Print Post

Re: New Infinity Order, Can I use Voyager 2500

[re: hypnotist57] [link to this post]

I don't believe you can use it - alone!

I am not too familiar with the various BT Home devices, just the Business ones. I do have one suggestion that you can try.

Set the BT Hub3 to BRIDGE mode and the connect it to the modem through the Fibre/WAN port. Being in Bridge mode allows it to provide the login details to the modem and then pass all traffic back to your other router (Voyager). Cannot guarantee it will work but if you like the voyagers set up, it might be worth a try. If it fails, use the BT Hub3 initially until you can get one you like.

Connect the BT Hub 3 to te modem and

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 27-Jul-12 19:35:38
Print Post

[re: hypnotist57] [link to this post]

No, it won't do the deed. MHC's suggestion is a work around, but I reckon you'd over egging the pudding by doing it. Best bet would be to start using the Hub 3 now, and get it set up how you want it, then it'll be ready to rock and roll when the install is done.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 27-Jul-12 19:55:38
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

And in this great scheme which port do you connect to on the Voyager?

Other than using the wireless side, you would be bypassing all the router functionality, since the 2500 only has an ADSL port on its WAN side

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 27-Jul-12 20:14:33
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It is worth trying with one of the LAN ports - the same way a 2wire2700 can be connected and operate successfully.

I did say - worth a try, but no guarantees. And the cost of trying - NIL.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
  Print Thread

Jump to