User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User acer
(regular) Wed 01-Aug-12 11:22:07
Print Post

Downloading

[link to this post]

I have 40 gb.of download capacity-how do I calculate how long in time that gives me?.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 01-Aug-12 11:59:44
Print Post

Re: Downloading

[re: acer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by acer:
I have 40 gb.of download capacity-how do I calculate how long in time that gives me?.

If you are talking about how long downloading 40GB using full bandwidth, that can be easily calculated provided your sync speed is known.

If you are asking how much general browsing, email, searches, &c you can do, then te answer will depend on exactly what you do. 40GB will last a month easily for someone who just browses, send/receives email, downloads the occasional image or text file. But if you start downloading films, or large numbers of youtube clips then it will be eaten away rapidly. Download a copy of TBBmeter from http://www.thinkbroadband.com/tbbmeter.html and install it. Then you can see how much you ave used on any particular day or hour.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Wed 01-Aug-12 13:42:15
Print Post

To follow up from MHC if you do nothing on the line then 40GB will last for years.

If you download a 40GB file then it will last as long as the actual download takes (which depends on the speed of the line and the rate at which the file can be served to you from the other end).

Everything else is a grey patch. If you do lots of streaming then you will use data relatively quickly. If you do general web browsing then 40GB would likely not be a limiting factor.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Wed 01-Aug-12 14:30:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by acer:

I think the 40GB figure is the usage allowance, so the amount uploaded may also need to be considered, e.g. video files to YouTube etc.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 01-Aug-12 14:32:24
Print Post

How long in time that gives me = (106.7 / Sync Speed in Mbps) Hours

E.g. At 20 Meg Sync it will last 5 Hrs 20 Mins grin

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
  Print Thread

Jump to