User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User billyprice
(newbie) Sun 05-Aug-12 10:49:28
Print Post

BT usage monitor

[link to this post]

I was surprised to receive an email from BT on August 4th telling me I had used 9.54 GB of my 10 GB allowance for the month of August.

At first I thought this was the Olympics causing more than usual iplayer usage, then I noticed that 5.57 GB of this was upload. At my upload speed of 504 Kb/sec this would take about 24 hours.

My net meter readings for the first 5 days of August are 111 MB up and 535 MB down.

I have Norton 360 running, and do not (to my knowledge) have any P2P software installed.

Is the BT usage monitoring wrong or has a virus sneaked through?
Standard User StephenTodd
(member) Sun 05-Aug-12 11:06:36
Print Post

Re: BT usage monitor

[re: billyprice] [link to this post]

How many machines are connected?

For an individual (Windows) machine you can install a free version of NetLimiter http://www.netlimiter.com/ . The free version does not allow limiting, but does monitor speed and usage by application. Depending on your setup it could be a help seeing what is happening.

--
Moved (with trepidation) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User billyprice
(newbie) Sun 05-Aug-12 11:46:37
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

2 computers.

Both have Norton 360.

The net meter readings were a total of the 2.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Malwaremike
(member) Sun 05-Aug-12 12:07:13
Print Post

[re: billyprice] [link to this post]

My neighbour has an identical problem with BT. He uses TBB monitor and his figures did not tally with BT. Turns out the culprit is his iphone on which he plays non-stop, I don't know he he gets any work done.

While we don't have iphones we have two desktops and I find the BT usage monitor very useful. I have it bookmarked and total BB usage is updated every night.
Standard User StephenTodd
(member) Sun 05-Aug-12 12:33:17
Print Post

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

I don't know what detailed information Norton will give about upload (eg whether it will break down information by program), or what net meter readings you were talking about. As I said, netlimiter will help you identify which machine and the particular program causing the problem (as long as it is a PC program and not an iPhone or ...)

--
Moved (with trepidation) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
  Print Thread

Jump to