User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Colin_London
(member) Wed 08-Aug-12 15:05:45
Print Post

New Infinity Install - snail like download speed

[link to this post]

Just had Infinity 2 installed 1 hour ago and am already disillusioned frown

I specifically asked the engineer what his line tester was reporting, and it was 73 down / 20 up. Excellent I thought.

We tested connectivity on my PC before he went and it worked, but didn't check throughput.

Now I find, like others here, that it's 3Mbps down / 18.5Mbps Up. Can't even run SD iplayer without buffering frown

This is compared with my ADSL2+ O2 connection whick was 13 Mbps down.

I cannot check my IP profile as the BT Speedtester site is returning an error saying that it cannot use my number. Maybe because the job hasn't been closed off yet (still showing as pending on My BT).

Have tried the modem reset and no change. It's not my home hub because I am not using the home hub. Have configured my Apple Airport Extreme as my router, which coped perfectly with my O2 Connection, and use homeplugs with 500Mbps throughput for the connection to the PC......
(member) Wed 08-Aug-12 16:56:37
Print Post

Re: New Infinity Install - snail like download speed

[re: Colin_London] [link to this post]

For completeness I managed to run the BT speedtest and got the following:

Download Speed: 4.49 Mbps
Download Profile: 77.43 Mbps

Upload Speed: 14.17 Mbps
Upload Profile: 20 Mbps

First time my Upload speed has been 3 times higher than my download speed!

Phoned BT. They said it could be a combination of the fact my order was not yet closed, line stabilisation (from the above obviously this is not the case) and an admitted 'network problem in the area' which they hoped would be 'resolved very soon'. No detail on what this is, and it isn't admitted to on their broadband status line at present.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 08-Aug-12 17:04:59
Print Post

Can you run a speedtest from TBB or elsewhere with Task Manager open on te Networking tab. Then grab a screen shot an dhost it somewhere. That may give an indication of whether you are being capped or there are other issues.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 08-Aug-12 17:38:40
Print Post

It may be a bit late now, but I suggest for now you don't do any messing with the connection. As far as the Openreach DLM is concerned, today and tomorrow are critical times.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre FTTC 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(member) Wed 08-Aug-12 17:56:19
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

For what it's worth, here is the speedtest:

BT Speedtester Result

Looking at the speed graph on Speedtest.net shows the rate fluctuating below 4 Mbps, not capped off at that level.

Because it doesn't seem to be being capped I am ruling out DLM & profile (as you can see I am on the top profile and this is what the line test reported I should have).

BTW I have posted on the BT user forum and many users are reporting the same behaviour since yesterday evening. So it doesn't seem to be me - maybe something affecting just recent new customers? Anyway BT are saying there is a problem, just not what that problem is.....

LOL @ 'This test is not conclusive and further testing may be required....'

Edited by Colin_London (Wed 08-Aug-12 17:57:44)

Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Wed 08-Aug-12 18:54:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by Colin_London:

I notice you have a 1gbps link so clearly you are not using the homehub.

I've seen plenty of people having these kind of issues with their own routers. Try the homehub and leave it there for a few days. See if it improves at all.
(member) Wed 08-Aug-12 19:02:27
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

As a matter of fact that's the link to my Powerline adapter! But I am using an Apple Airport Extreme.

Anyway it's not my Airport Extreme because I used the Homehub first straight after the install and that is when I first saw the problem......
(member) Wed 08-Aug-12 19:27:45
Print Post

OK this appears to be mainly in the east London / West Essex area. Any other Infinity users in this area suffering? If so please post......
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Wed 08-Aug-12 19:50:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by Colin_London:
As a matter of fact that's the link to my Powerline adapter! But I am using an Apple Airport Extreme.

Anyway it's not my Airport Extreme because I used the Homehub first straight after the install and that is when I first saw the problem......

Right. Turn the extreme off. Remove the powerline

Plug into the homehub via a Ethernet cable directly

No fancy router & no homeplugs.

Modem - homehub - your pc. All directly wired together via Ethernet

500mbps homeplugs only gave me around 10 Mbps throughput whereas I get 75+ directly linked up.
I highly doubt congestion would cause such a big slowdown.

Then leave it like this whilst it manages the line

Edited by ukhardy07 (Wed 08-Aug-12 19:52:46)

(member) Wed 08-Aug-12 20:56:26
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

It isn't congestion - it is clearly a major BT Network issue in east London / West Essex affecting Infinity users.

My 500Mbps Powerline adapters give me 85Mbps throughput via independent test of file transfer between by home server (connected to the router) and my PC, and I suspect even that is being limited by my home server HDD read/write speed rather than the link.

I would post a link to the BT forum where the present issue is being discussed and there are tens of others who have posted there reporting exactly the same issue, but I believe that is against forum rules......

The connection was tested earlier today just after installation with the Homehub and a directly cabled laptop and the problem was exactly the same.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to