User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 08-Aug-12 18:56:58
Print Post

I can recommend BT's N dongle

[link to this post]

Got upgraded to Infinity 2 at the weekend. Getting 71Mbps over the wire so no complaints. I decided to get the BT dongle (£12.50) for an old computer that doesn't have a modern card and I must say I'm impressed. Getting 130Mbps from the Hub and about 28Mbps at the laptop - this is XP SP3 in a room adjacent to the Hub3. I reckon it's a good buy. It was delivered FOC by courier this morning and the installation is very quick - the CD doesn't have any bloatware so you can proceed with confidence. I can't figure out who makes it though - anybody? By the way, the instructions say to disable any existing wireless cards and I must admit I've never done that before when using Belkin dongles, but it does seem to make a difference, presumably because it's not searching for the best connection.

Dell Studio1558 with Win7 Home Premium 64bit 8GB RAM
IE9 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 08-Aug-12 19:47:17
Print Post

Re: I can recommend BT's N dongle

[re: GeoffB] [link to this post]

Has the installation configured the XP RWIN and MTU? Wireless speeds on XP can be greatly increased by optimising those.

See TCPOptimizer.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre FTTC 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 08-Aug-12 21:23:28
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I seem to remember reading somewhere that those settings were redundant in the N protocol when used with SP3. But I'm happy to be corrected.

Dell Studio1558 with Win7 Home Premium 64bit 8GB RAM
IE9 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kitcat
(member) Wed 08-Aug-12 21:34:40
Print Post

[re: GeoffB] [link to this post]

Geoff

The instructions to disable existing wireless cards are to prevent any 802g or 802b cards connecting. If they do ALL wireless connectivity will revert to the lower speed.

This is often the hidden reason that wireless speeds drop when you have two PCs with different spec cards!

Many people don't realise the router will drop back to the slowest. If unsecured even your neighbour can affect your speeds in this way!.
Standard User StephenTodd
(member) Wed 08-Aug-12 22:03:22
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

Slower wireless connection by one machine on g does not prevent faster connection by another on n.

I think the two cases of a slow machine slowing down another are: where the sloe machine is (very old) b,
or the fast machine is using linked channels on n (for 300Mbps) and the slow machine is not.

--
Moved (with trepidation) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
  Print Thread

Jump to