User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MattJessop
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 22-Aug-12 17:44:56
Print Post

A month to connect a line up ? A MONTH ??

[link to this post]

It's a bit of a long story but we are moving in the next couple of weeks. BT provide my phone line and Broadband and although we are only moving 2 miles, we are moving to a new exchange.

The house we are buying has been empty for about 17 months. The phone was disconnected but all the cabling is there so I believe it was done at the exchange end, not the house end.

I called BT on Sunday and spoke to a very helpful woman who advised she could waive the £130 connection fee if I took the 18 month contract. Suits me. However she then said she could get an engineer out on the 4th October.

Obviously I challenged this but was advised that due to resource shortages there was nothing that could be done to speed it up. So I will be without a phoneline or Broadband for somewhere between 4 and 6 weeks, depending on when we move in.

I know this is probably my fault for leaving it "too late" (personally I think 2 weeks notice is more than enough) but I do think it's a bit excessive to wait that long.

So... any thoughts on how I could speed this up ?

TIA

Matt
Standard User mixt
(experienced) Wed 22-Aug-12 17:51:36
Print Post

Re: A month to connect a line up ? A MONTH ??

[re: MattJessop] [link to this post]

Took AAISP (BT) a month and a half when I ordered broadband (new line install) for my new flat at the start of last year. No idea why, but that's just the way it is sometimes.

Now on <aaisp.net> (21CN+IPv6)
Previous ISPs: Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable), Be* Un Limited, ZeN
Is Linux routing your internet connection?
Need to make BIND geo-aware?
Standard User StephenTodd
(member) Wed 22-Aug-12 17:52:30
Print Post

It may be that they do the phone in the exchange and that you get that earlier. It is probably only the Infinity that needs the engineer out. It does seem a long time, though.

--
Moved (with trepidation) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 22-Aug-12 18:58:10
Print Post

It is possible if you are doing the phone and broadband (and its Infinity) that getting an engineer who does both is harder to find.

I think a lot of the FTTC installs are done by lesser trained staff, i.e. trained for FTTC, but not all the line activation stuff. Willing to be wrong, but it seems feasible.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MattJessop
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 23-Aug-12 13:30:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Sorry should have said, it's not infinity, I live in the middle of nowhere so it's just ADSL Max (at 3Mb speed).
Standard User StephenTodd
(member) Thu 23-Aug-12 15:22:12
Print Post

Some of the installers are brilliant. But for some of the others .... maybe they know they need to allow a month for him to find your house.

--
Moved (with trepidation) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User nicknack101uk
(newbie) Thu 23-Aug-12 20:22:18
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

Hi,

We ordered the new line for the house we have moved to on the 24th of July. The date we got back is the 7th of September.

This is for a phone and infinity connection though.

BT Yahoo 8mb.
Draytek 2600We
SNR Margin 8.5
Att 20.0
Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 23-Aug-12 20:31:26
Print Post

This seems to be the current standard of lead times for an install.

So, pretty much standard at the moment.

Matt

uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
Standard User Ribble
(committed) Thu 23-Aug-12 21:42:41
Print Post

[re: nicknack101uk] [link to this post]

Oenreach resources are very stretched in many areas, particularly in those regions which were most severely affected by the spring/summer bad whether. Other regions may experience extended delivery dates due as resources are moved around the country to manage high repair volumes.
This is why there continues to be many contractors doing installs for Openreach.
Standard User blueacid
(committed) Sat 25-Aug-12 15:55:08
Print Post

[re: nicknack101uk] [link to this post]

For a standard phone line, it took 3 weeks for me last year.

...followed then by a week for the broadband activation. There was no chance of a SIM provide frustratingly (phone line supplier didn't want to help.)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to