User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Xplosion
(regular) Sun 26-Aug-12 20:27:59
Print Post

Plusnet to BT - Questions

[link to this post]

Someone in the family has decided to move from Plusnet to BT for broadband, calls and line rental because of billing issues and the fact that they find BT more familiar than Plusnet (30 odd years of custom vs. 1 year of custom).

As they aren't overly confident with broadband and the internet, it was up to me to place the order with BT for them on Thursday. I have a few questions.

I was quite surprised to see the activation date as Monday 10th September, it is just a simple switch of all the services from PN to BT. Why is the date so far forward and is that a bad sign?

Is the sync speed and stability of the connection likely to deteriorate being with BT? They are a larger ISP and so I assume they have larger congestion issues.

Will the telephone number change? I know it's unlikely but is there a substantial chance of it happening?

Also, I take it the Home Hub 3 is better than Plusnet's Technicolor router?

Just to sign off with a laugh, the only thing PN retentions offered my 60 year old relative was free Plusnet Pro for 12 months, probably because they know she won't abuse it LOL.

Sky Broadband Unlimited
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 26-Aug-12 20:36:13
Print Post

Re: Plusnet to BT - Questions

[re: Xplosion] [link to this post]

What did PN say about the time scale for issuing a MAC key?
Standard User Xplosion
(regular) Sun 26-Aug-12 20:40:47
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

We have already received the MAC key and given it to BT (did so during the order process).

Sky Broadband Unlimited

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 26-Aug-12 20:46:14
Print Post

...and when did you give 10 days notice to PN that you wished to migrate?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 26-Aug-12 21:11:35
Print Post

Given its a back holiday weekend so nothing much will happen till Tuesday the 10th is not that far away, and BT is probably also allowing for the notification period that has to take place when moving calls and line rental.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Xplosion
(regular) Sun 26-Aug-12 22:41:08
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Okay, so that's the activation date explained. Probably the notice period. Can someone enlighten me regarding my other questions?

Sky Broadband Unlimited
Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 27-Aug-12 00:29:21
Print Post

Number should not change - provided you have told BT, or implied that you wish to retain it.

Being a larger ISP BT will have more backhaul than others - which probably means you will see less congestion than with other ISPs as peaks are easier to iron out.

Sync speed will vary over time - as will that of any ISP, and it is unlikely to be any more unstable than others.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 27-Aug-12 00:35:50
Print Post

Just to add to MHC's post, they'll have both routers so you can see which is better for them. Plus - they will have a standby/diagnostic one.

I'm not sure the HH3 isn't made by Technicolor anyway.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre FTTC 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 27-Aug-12 00:36:37)

Standard User afenemer
(newbie) Mon 27-Aug-12 07:06:34
Print Post

by the way plusnet is part of bt.
Standard User StephenTodd
(member) Mon 27-Aug-12 09:14:31
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I'm not sure the HH3 isn't made by Technicolor anyway. I believe the HomeHub 3A and HomeHub 3B are made by different manufacturers. Sagem came up as manufacturer in an older thread http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issue....

Also from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BT_Home_Hub (I can't tell if it is correct, but don't see why it shouldn't be):

"There are two versions of the BT Home Hub 3.0, the A and the B model. The hardware contained within the Home Hub v3.0A was manufactured by Siemens' Gigaset (now Sagem) and is based on a Lantiq XWAYTM ARX168 chipset supporting ADSL2+.

The Home Hub v3.0B was manufactured by Huawei and also supports ADSL2+. The Home Hub v3.0B is powered by a highly integrated Broadcom BCM6361 System-on-a-chip (SoC). The BCM6361 has a 400MHz dual MIPS32 core as well as an integrated DSL Analog Front End (AFE) and line driver, gigabit ethernet switch controller and 802.11 WiFi transceiver.[5]"

--
Moved (with trepidation) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.

Edited by StephenTodd (Mon 27-Aug-12 09:17:55)

Print Thread

Jump to