User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User wargasm
(newbie) Thu 06-Sep-12 10:51:18
Print Post

BT Infinit training period

[link to this post]

I had Infinity 2 installed last week (a week today). When i ordered they estimated i would get speeds of 36/6. On the day of the installation i was getting 26/3 and now im getting around 20/3. I've contacted BT and they told me it can take up to 10 days but i will definitely get the speeds estimated by the end of the training period. What confuses me though, is how the training period works. I'd imagine they would stick your line on the maximum it can handle and slowly drop the speed until it's stable. Or am i missing something?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 06-Sep-12 10:57:39
Print Post

Re: BT Infinit training period

[re: wargasm] [link to this post]

There is no system whereby it tries speed A for 1 day, then speed B for 1 day, and then goes back to faster A at the end.

VDSL2 and ADSL and ADSL2+ modems will generally sync at faster speed they are allowed at the time, so the edging down suggests errors are been seen and for stability slower speeds are being forced on modem.

www.speedtester.bt.com or a hacked modem are needed to look at speeds rather than internet testers, which also test performance of the ISP

Remember that an estimate is not a contractual commitment to supply a specific speed.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User wargasm
(newbie) Thu 06-Sep-12 11:02:26
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

So does this mean its actually going to get slower or stay where it is? Why is BT support telling me itll go up after the training period?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 06-Sep-12 11:09:17
Print Post

Cannot answer if it will get slower or faster. Need to see modem stats from before and after to comment more.

As for support - because they don't understand ADSL, let allone VDSL2, and are just saying what they've been trained to say.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 06-Sep-12 11:27:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by wargasm:
Why is BT support telling me itll go up after the training period?
Because the people who wrote the training manuals hadn't a clue and got it wrong. Back when ADSL Max was introduced.

The 10-day period, which doesn't, or at least shouldn't, exist anyway on Infinity, (so that shows how bad the BT Retail training is), always was and is misunderstood.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 06-Sep-12 11:27:59)

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 06-Sep-12 18:25:30
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
The 10-day period, which doesn't, or at least shouldn't, exist anyway on Infinity, (so that shows how bad the BT Retail training is), always was and is misunderstood.

And is repeated everywhere, including Sky FTTC and ADSL guide that comes with their router, and its on the BTwholesale line "guesstimator".

James be* pro (16.8/1.2) - Sky lied - BE disconnect 16th - BT infinity 19th Sept
13 years of broadband - ntl:cablemodem/BTbusiness/metronet/bulldog/BE/BT infinity
BQM

Edited by jchamier (Thu 06-Sep-12 18:25:45)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 06-Sep-12 22:39:37
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Sky LLU ADSL is a different matter, they run a DLM that does tend to lock people to a speed.

Sky FTTC is same DLM as all the other FTTC providers, ie not updated their leaflet

BT Wholesale is trying to explain MSR which is just recorded so they can see if the line is under performing at a later date

Standard User wargasm
(newbie) Thu 06-Sep-12 23:19:41
Print Post

Is 15 meg slower than the estmation acceptable? Or should i complain my tits off? I dont know if the distance to the cabinet will make any difference to you guys, but im 300 meters away from it. is 21 meg 300 meters away from the cabinet normal?

EDIT: The bt speed tester shows my IP profile to be at 26/3.

Edited by wargasm (Thu 06-Sep-12 23:23:12)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 06-Sep-12 23:40:13
Print Post

Slower than to be expected. Is the throughput still slow if you use Ethernet between 1 am and 9 am?

Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 07-Sep-12 09:53:31
Print Post

Is the 300m a straight line distance or cable distance? If it is straight line, and the cable wanders around the streets and the actual cable length could be 600m ...

At 300m cable length, you should be getting 60Mbps and even with 600m, I would expect around 40Mbps or maybe a little less.

What is odd is the original estimate of 6Mbps upstream ... 2, 10 and 20 are the normal figures.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Edited by MHC (Fri 07-Sep-12 11:29:13)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to