User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User BigRedBall
(newbie) Fri 14-Sep-12 21:00:39
Print Post

BT Infinity Option 2: using Home Hub before engineer visit

[link to this post]

Hi there,
I've just moved from Be Unlimited ADSL2+ to BT Infinity Option 2. My line has just moved over to BT for phone service, however my engineer's visit to install the Infinity VDSL service and set up the modem isn't for another two weeks.

Which leaves me without internet access, because Be say that once BT take over the line, they can no longer offer broadband service.

My query is this: I noticed that the BT Home Hub (black, version 3) has an ADSL port on it. If I plug the Home Hub into my existing microfilter and phone socket, will it work as like a conventional ADSL(2+ ?) modem in the meantime?

Also, will doing so cause problems with the engineer's visit?

Thanks.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 14-Sep-12 21:05:36
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity Option 2: using Home Hub before engineer vis

[re: BigRedBall] [link to this post]

Try it

It won't cause any problems

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________

Edited by BatBoy (Fri 14-Sep-12 21:07:17)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 14-Sep-12 21:47:38
Print Post

The line is either still connected to the old Be kit for ADSL2+ or not connected to anything for DSL at this time.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 14-Sep-12 23:43:55
Print Post

?
You don't have to have a Be line to have Be Broadband. Either there's some mistake/misunderstanding, or at some point you gave notice for both?

Have you checked it doesn't work just like before, with the Be box?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 14-Sep-12 23:45:36
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Try it

It won't cause any problems
Think again.

If the opening post is correct, he has no ADSLx service. Which I find extremely odd.

Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Fri 14-Sep-12 23:55:44
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Me too!
Standard User BigRedBall
(newbie) Sat 15-Sep-12 00:00:25
Print Post

Yeah - correct, I have no ADSL2+ service from Be anymore as of today. There's no DSL sync on the line.

They sent a message today stating the following:
Looks like something's gone wrong! BT have told us that your phone line has ceased.

Really sorry but we've had to suspend your BE service as we need an active BT line for our service to work; you'll need to get your BT line working soon (within 30 days) or we'll have to cancel your service.

Bear in mind that I had landline phone service with Be as well, so it was full LLU. Today was the transfer day, and BT took over the landline, changing my phone number in the process.

So the consensus is that the worst that can happen if I plug in the Home Hub is that it doesn't work. Agreed? crazy

Edited by BigRedBall (Sat 15-Sep-12 00:02:00)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 15-Sep-12 00:08:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by BigRedBall:
Today was the transfer day, and BT took over the landline, changing my phone number in the process.
That's the cause! The number has changed. BT have cocked up!
So the consensus is that the worst that can happen if I plug in the Home Hub is that it doesn't work. Agreed? crazy
Agreed. It will only work however if BT have done a SIM provide of ADSLx.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 15-Sep-12 00:12:42
Print Post

Bear in mind that I had landline phone service with Be as well, so it was full LLU.
Incorrect. Be LLU broadband plus Be landline is not full LLU. Did you tell BT you were on full LLU when you ordered?

Be landline is Openreach Wholesale Line Rental, and BT Retail should have been able to take it over with the existing number and no problems.

Standard User BigRedBall
(newbie) Sat 15-Sep-12 00:20:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Bear in mind that I had landline phone service with Be as well, so it was full LLU.
Incorrect. Be LLU broadband plus Be landline is not full LLU. Did you tell BT you were on full LLU when you ordered?

No - my misunderstanding there, thanks for the clarification.

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Be landline is Openreach Wholesale Line Rental, and BT Retail should have been able to take it over with the existing number and no problems.

Interesting. I'll pull them up about that.
  Print Thread

Jump to