User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User treforh
(newbie) Sun 16-Sep-12 08:55:13
Print Post

BT Infinity 2 Upgrade Speeds

[link to this post]

My Infinity download speed has stabilized at about 20 Mbps. Which is about right given the distance from my home to the Fiber Cabinet.
If I upgrade to Infinity 2, can I expect this to double to 40 Mbps, or does it not work like that?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 16-Sep-12 09:02:26
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity 2 Upgrade Speeds

[re: treforh] [link to this post]

No, it will remain at 20Mbps. All the upgrade does is remove the cap at 40Mbps.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 16-Sep-12 09:04:45
Print Post

Unfortunately it doesn't work like that frown.

It's just the removal of a speed cap. A bit like some ISPs treat(ed) ADSL2+, where you could be on the ADSL2+ service but have a maximum speed of 8Mbps on their basic package, but up to 24Mbps on their higher priced ones. O2 and Be used to do that on their LLU.

If you were getting the full speed on your 40Mbps one then yes, Infinity 2 would give you whatever your line could do. But as you are only getting 20Mbps, no better than now.

There's a slight difference between the connection speed and the throughput, just like there is on ADSLx, but that isn't enough to matter in your case. You would need to be getting 37Mbps or so on speed tests now.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 16-Sep-12 09:45:55
Print Post

What does BT estimate for your line speeds?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User treforh
(newbie) Sun 16-Sep-12 09:57:18
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
What does BT estimate for your line speeds?

Ah - that is another issue. 28 Mbps. But it appears to have synced up at 20 Mbps. But I measured the distance from the Fiber Cabinet to my House using the route the wires actually take. And using the speed/distance Table in the Think Broadband Guide then 20 Mbps is what I should get given the distance. I assume the BT speed estimate is based on an "as the crow flies distance" from the Cabinet to home. This is across the Fields and I know the wires don't take that route.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 16-Sep-12 10:02:11
Print Post

Even BT don't estimate 40Mbps. So I think it's not likely.

Print Thread

Jump to