User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 23-Sep-12 23:15:07
Print Post

BT Support Touting Private Firm for PC Help

[link to this post]

grin At a party today I heard someone phoned BT Support in India to help solve a connection problem, which I think was just he couldn't get his email to work, and, after a long period when they couldn't solve it, they referred him to some firm, not Openreach, to help him for a price. This firm then remotely connected to his PC and configured his email settings, so they said, and charged him over £100 frown.

Anyone heard of this happening? I immediately thought it a scam, both on part of BT India and this firm. I hate to think what the state of his PC is now.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 23-Sep-12 23:23:51
Print Post

Re: BT Support Touting Private Firm for PC Help

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

There is a fine line between an ISP helping to get the broadband and other aspects of a service working, and acting being the personal IT assistant to millions.

Thus if this was configuring the BT email services on a BT Retail connection I would expect BT Retail to do it as part of normal support. Referring to a third party firm would have resulted in all manner of agreements from the customer.

Sounds more like urban myth/scam/confusion.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 23-Sep-12 23:30:40
Print Post

Not BT India. (Is there such a thing? Though I understand what you mean).

A rogue employee of the call centre company. Or maybe he was getting well behind with his target problem handling so did it just to get rid of the guy. An extremely bad thing to do, but not entirely roguish.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sun 23-Sep-12 23:32:24
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Thus if this was configuring the BT email services on a BT Retail connection I would expect BT Retail to do it as part of normal support. Referring to a third party firm would have resulted in all manner of agreements from the customer.

I read that some ISPs are selling "tech support" for other IT problems, as they really don't want to be fixing the whole PC just to get an internet connection working. The problem being where do you draw the line.

James BT Infinity 2 - 19/9/2012 - Install-sync: 52/12 - Test: 50/10 - Est: 44.6/6.5 Mbps
13 years of broadband - ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(16M)/BT FTTC(50M)
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 24-Sep-12 00:22:41
Print Post

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7027/...

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 24-Sep-12 04:51:52
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
A rogue employee of the call centre company.
I am not convinced. Lately I have got the impression that this is more widespread. In my recent dealings with them in querying errors in 2 phone bills, their immediate reaction was to tell 5 lies between them with the intent of deceiving user into thinking there were not errors, when he had documentary proof that there were errors, rather than directly addressing issue at hand. Both agent and their Supervisor told same lies.

It was only when I complained and spoke to Brits that sense prevailed smile.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 24-Sep-12 09:04:15
Print Post

If that is incontrovertibly true, I reckon it's an HLC matter. No messing.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User StephenTodd
(committed) Mon 24-Sep-12 09:23:24
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Can you tell us what HLC is, please? Answers on Google don't make sense.

--
Moved (with trepidation) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 24-Sep-12 09:27:11
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

High Level Complaints (at a guess)

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 24-Sep-12 09:28:42
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

The problem being where do you draw the line.
Indeed. Doing tech support for an ISP one might be happy with a ping and DNS resolution working from the command line, even if a messed up browser says it can't find its home page.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to