User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MattJessop
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 24-Sep-12 08:16:31
Print Post

Line stats review please

[link to this post]

Hi,

Long story short I have moved into a house in a very rural location. The BT checker advised I could get circa 3Mb however the actual speed I am getting is around 1Mb. Line stats follow but the engineer did have a hard time getting the phone line working (install was last Friday) so I am wondering if it's worth speaking to BT to have it all checked out again ?

Line state: Connected
Downstream: 1,056 Kbps
Upstream: 448 Kbps
Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type: Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up): 10.3 dB / 18.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):52.0 dB / 30.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 15.8 dBm / 11.9 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 28
CRC Events (Down/Up): 3083 / 29

Thanks in advance.

Matt
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 24-Sep-12 08:39:12
Print Post

Re: Line stats review please

[re: MattJessop] [link to this post]

They are not good.

Are these figures when using the test socket, to rule out any extension wiring, faceplate faults

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User shortshrift
(newbie) Mon 24-Sep-12 08:43:34
Print Post

Are you still in the 10-day profiling period?

Your downstream noise margin is higher than it needs to be (6 dB is typical), but this extra margin may be necessary if your line gets noiser at night - particularly true of rural lines as they tend to run overground and pick up AM radio quite well once the sun goes down!

If you're outside the profiling period, try opening your master socket and connecting into the test socket to see if you get a better sync speed - home wiring can affect sync speed, and the test socket bypasses your home wiring.

[Just noticed your install was last Friday. I would be tempted to leave well alone for a while - and don't reset the router, as this can be interpreted as a dropped connection and adversely impact the profiling.]

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MattJessop
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 24-Sep-12 08:58:02
Print Post

[re: shortshrift] [link to this post]

Thanks both for the quick replies, I thought they looked bad but wasn't sure of the detail (especially the Attentuation numbers).

Yes I am still in the profiling period so I will leave it alone until that has finished and then try the test socket. The router is currently plugged into the master socket and nothing else is plugged in to any of the extentions throughout the house.

I'm concerned as the engineer took 1.5 hours just to get the line working and said the pair he had to use were "the last pair available", so I'm not sure what other options I will have available.

Thanks again

Matt

Edited by MattJessop (Mon 24-Sep-12 09:02:05)

Standard User shortshrift
(newbie) Mon 24-Sep-12 09:18:41
Print Post

There's an (approximate!) attenuation to line-length calculator here:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

Suggests your line is about 3.8 km. If that's in the right ballpark then your attenuation is more or less normal.

For what it's worth, my (rural) BT ADSL Max was syncing somewhere around 1.4 Mbps in the master socket (with no extensions plugged in) on a downstream attenuation of 37.0 dB.

In the test socket that went up to 3.8 Mbps sync speed and then 4.2 Mbps after a couple of weeks when the DSLAM twigged that the line had improved and automatically reset the SNR margin. Bad extension wiring in the house, clearly.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 24-Sep-12 10:19:01
Print Post

describe the internal wiring - do you have multiple sockets, which one is the router plugged into, do you have filters on every device plugged into the system ?

You should get 4M or more on that attenuation.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User MattJessop
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 24-Sep-12 11:54:33
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Hi, we've only just moved in but I'll try to describe.

We have the master BT socket in the hallway, the router is currently plugged into the normal socket (with a filter). Nothing else is currently plugged in (phones, sky boxes etc). There are numerous other sockets throughout the house, some of which work and some don't.

However of those that do work, they have varying degrees of "noise" on the line, so you may well be correct in that the internal wiring is causing the issue (it wouldn't surprise me, we've had all sorts of little "issues" crop up with other things).

I was thinking of getting someone in to sort the internal wiring out anyway, I'll get that sorted asap.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 24-Sep-12 12:06:02
Print Post

Does the master socket have a removable (half) faceplate? Is it the top one, NTE5, on this page http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/btsockets.htm ?

When you remove faceplate do all the other working sockets stop working?

Plug router with filter into revealed test socket. Do stats improve?

Plug corded phone with filter in test socket. Is it completely silent?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User MattJessop
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 24-Sep-12 12:11:22
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I will have a look tonight when I get home and give it a go..
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 24-Sep-12 14:43:46
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Plug corded phone with filter in test socket. Is it completely silent?
tongue
Probably. Until someone rings in.

I assume you mean if used to do a Quiet line test, 17070 Option 2?
smile
(Why the filter? Surely best done without that?)
Edit - strike out my garbage.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 24-Sep-12 16:04:38)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to