User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Ipster
(newbie) Mon 24-Sep-12 13:03:32
Print Post

FTTC Speeds

[link to this post]

Hi Folks,

Not sure if anyone can help, I had FTTC installed just 2 days before I went away for 10 days. When the BTO engineer fitted the service, he could test the telphone but was unable to do any speed test using his equipment. And I was unable to test via the bt speedtester site.

Now I am back, I have noticed that my speeds drop from around 55/17 on a day time to around 30/8 on an night and I am still unable to do any test using BT speedtest site.It performs the test but when it comes to displaying the results it says error. I have tried different machines and using a wired connection. I have connected an alternative router to the openreach modem but the speeds still drop on a night and unable to do a test and see my profile..

anyone got any ideas, comments or suggestions? I am not sure if the speed drop is congestion or if I have a problem with it not allowing me to test my line?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 24-Sep-12 15:04:35
Print Post

Re: FTTC Speeds

[re: Ipster] [link to this post]

The BT speed tester is doing that for many of us, if not all, on FTTC connections like Infinity. So in itself that isn't a worry. Just a nuisance.

As you have apparently ruled out wireless speed drops at night, the night-time drops sound like congestion or throttling. Do you use P2P?

Which Openreach modem have you got? Huawei HG612 or the ECI one?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Ipster
(newbie) Mon 24-Sep-12 17:32:15
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for your reply.

I have the HG612 modem and don't use P2P the only thing I have used is RapidShare to back up some things. I can do a BTW Performance Test, and whilst the speedtest side of things are well out compared to other speedtest I use (visualware/speedtest.net) it has given me a profile today " IP Profile for your line is - 57.28 Mbps" & "Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps" for the first few days before I went away and after connection it was 68/18 and dropped slightly when I got back but I put this down to the line settling.

The connection in the day is fine and as I said I get about 52-55 /15-17 but on a night it just drops alot. I did read about hacking the modem but I am a Mac user and didnt know how to to do it..

Thanks again for any help!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Kaytfoh
(learned) Thu 27-Sep-12 21:26:03
Print Post

I believe the speeds in peak periods can be reduced to 30mbit on an 80/20 line, so this likely explains your issue, its normal.

In terms of the speed test, I assume that you have the Java browser plugin installed on your computer, and that you have selected ADSL and FTTC to run the test.

Edited by Kaytfoh (Thu 27-Sep-12 21:27:33)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 27-Sep-12 22:07:37
Print Post

If the times of slow downs coincide with the kids getting home with school and more people going online then probably just congestion.

If it is getting earlier every day as the sunset gets earlier then it may be a RF noise issue on the telephone line

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Kaytfoh
(learned) Thu 27-Sep-12 22:51:46
Print Post

http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/super-...

The section referring to Product Features states the following:

Downstream prioritisation rate of up to 30Mbit/s or the actual achieved line rate,
whichever is the lower
Standard User Ipster
(newbie) Tue 16-Oct-12 10:11:50
Print Post

My problems seem to be getting worst and BTW are dragging their feet... any advice? They are giving me call backs at 3AM and do not seem to want to help.

As in my first post, my speeds are now getting much slower the later it gets in the day (on Sunday 11.8 down 6 up). I am unable to do any BT speedtest either on btspeedtester.com or the wholesale version it either says my number is not a BT number or an error. First line support have tried remote desktop and they could not do it, they blamed the ethernet cables so I went and bought new crossover cables and ethernet cables. The issue happens both on the HH3 and a new Apple Airport.

First line support had me resetting the modem and the hub so many time this also cant be helping, I even explained that the BTO engineer who installed BTI could not do any test, and said it would correct itself in 24 hours. Yesterday 1st line support said it must be my equipment and to call a tech line, so in a nice way I complained and spoke to a manager who said as this has been happening from the original install he would raise it to level 2 support who would call me back (they haven't as yet) the original fault was closed on myBT but CS say it is still open...

Could it be the OR modem thats faulty? and if they do fix it, will my speeds go back up to consistent 60-65 as they once were? Also could the fibre cabinet on the same street but before mine that is testing WTTC have anything to do with it?

Any help would be great, and how can I stop these idiots calling at 3am and leaving messages?

Edited by Ipster (Tue 16-Oct-12 10:33:56)

Standard User Ipster
(newbie) Fri 19-Oct-12 11:30:10
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It seems my line was as the openreach guy put it " having spurts of errors" sent down it. He did a check at the cab, and said it was fine there, but he was picking them up both at the master socket and at the grey box outside of the house.. He went back to the cabs and an hour later said he had swapped the D-side? and went on to put a mini RF filter behind the master socket? He put the master socket back together and said his machine said the errors were now acceptable... and was syncing at around 58?

The other thing he said was that they had given me the wrong modem for my cab, they had given me a HG612 when it should have been an ECI one to match the type of fibre cab. So he swapped that out...

The issue is now my BRAS Profile has dropped right down from 55 which it was set to after testing to 47 when he arrived yesterday to 40 today (I'm getting a thruput of just over 38 wired)

Is there anyway I can get the speed back up or the profile increased?

Thanks for any help!
  Print Thread

Jump to