User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Axolotl
(regular) Mon 24-Sep-12 16:16:26
Print Post

BT Vision and non-BT routers?

[link to this post]

I'm considering getting the new YouView box via BT, which involves signing up for BT Vision essentials (at least).

I am already a BT Broadband customer, but I use my own Netgear Router quite happily on ADSL2+ c. 12.Mbps download throughput. I'm on BB Option 1, with a 10 Gigabyte monthly cap.

As I understand it, TV content downloaded via BT Vision is not included in your normal monthly data allowance, but does that require the use of the BT Home Hub to distinguish the data streams for billing purposes, or is that done at the exchange regardless of the router in use?

i.e., if I sign up for BT Vision can I continue to use the router I'm happy with and still not get billed for TV downloads?

Thx,

Cheers,

Axolotl
Standard User johnmackenzie
(newbie) Mon 24-Sep-12 16:28:42
Print Post

Re: BT Vision and non-BT routers?

[re: Axolotl] [link to this post]

The BTV traffic is decided in the network, not on your router. Therefore you could use another router (ie not a BT Home Hub). I have not used a Home Hub with my BTV for many years with no problems. I currently use a 2wire 2701 (ie the BT Business one).

Regards

John
Standard User Axolotl
(regular) Mon 24-Sep-12 16:37:46
Print Post

[re: johnmackenzie] [link to this post]

Thanks for your quick reply.

..and you don't get charged for the TV downloads via BTV, is that right?

Cheers,

Axolotl

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User johnmackenzie
(newbie) Mon 24-Sep-12 17:14:02
Print Post

[re: Axolotl] [link to this post]

In general, BTV traffic does not count towards your monthly allowance. However, I believe that for some reason BBC iPlayer RADIO traffic does (!). Don't ask me why. When using BTV streaming the line will have QOS applied to ensure the box has at least 1.6Mbps (assuming the old service). Some of the catchup services are chargable, it depends which BTV contract you are on. Mine is an original free contract (with PAYG downloads) as I used to be BT staff, but I'm not too sure what applies these days.

Regards

John
  Print Thread

Jump to