User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ploddo
(newbie) Wed 26-Sep-12 23:20:27
Print Post

Slow speed

[link to this post]

Hi. Not sure if anyone can help but have had a couple of issues with speed on my line both of which BT says are sorted. I used to get speeds of about .900 now only getting about 700mbps.
Router stats:
Line state: Connected
Connection time: 2 days, 10:22:27
Downstream: 1,056 Kbps
Upstream: 448 Kbps

ADSL settings

VPI/VCI: 0/38
Type: PPPoA
Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type: Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up): 9.9 dB / 11.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 63.5 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 16.3 dBm / 12.0 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up): 961010 / 2221
CRC Events (Down/Up): 8494 / 1225

speedtester.bt.com:
0.69 mbps max acheivable speed 1mbps
dsl connection rate:1.06 down 0.45 up
ip profile for line is 0.75mbps

Any ideas?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 27-Sep-12 09:26:05
Print Post

Re: Slow speed

[re: ploddo] [link to this post]

Probably had a 6dB target margin before, which would give around 1.2Meg connection and 1 Meg IP profile.

You appear to have a 9dB margin, which slows you down but makes like more reliable, particularly as it looks like it does experience noise bursts (based on the FEC figure)

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ploddo
(newbie) Thu 27-Sep-12 13:03:23
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply. It is being suggested that the fault lies with my computer software now.

Is there anything I can do to change the speed or is it best left alone?

Thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 27-Sep-12 13:08:10
Print Post

Nothing to do with your computer software, but all to do with you having a very long telephone line, i.e. live a long way from the telephone exchange.

dsl connection rate:1.06 down 0.45 up

Is the key figure, and that is independent of your PC. To have got the speeds you had before this would have been higher, and the figures you posted have a good reason why.

ADSL is NOT a fixed speed service, so does vary up and down in speed. We tend to notice the dips more obviously. The automatic systems appear to have seen enough errors to slow you down, if these errors on the phone line go away then the speed might come back.

Basically stop listening to the waffle from support.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 27-Sep-12 15:16:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by ploddo:
Thanks for the reply. It is being suggested that the fault lies with my computer software now.

Is there anything I can do to change the speed or is it best left alone?

Thanks
It's best left alone.

As MrSaffron says, the system has automatically raised the noise margin by 3dB because of some noise bursts or other instability. Possibly a thunderstorm?

If things are stable for 10-14 days, then it may reduce that noise margin by 3dB again, and you will get your speed back.

You may or may not know that a connection made well within daylight hours tends to be faster that any other time. So a single reconnection may get you to 1152kbps. But don't do several as that will be taken as instability and restart that 10-14 day wait. As long as the new connection is 864kbps or higher you will still get the .75 IP Profile.

If you do luckily get 1152kbps or more, in four or five days from that I would expect the IP Profile to rise to 1Mbps, which is probably what it was before.

Anything higher than 1152kbps but lower than 1440kbps doesn't give you any extra speed or a higher IP profile, so in fact 1152kbps is your optimum sync. The higher the sync the more errors there are, so the higher the chance of the DLM system upping the noise margin again.

I've a few pages about the subject on my website - see my sig. DLM, Noise margin and BT IP Profiles >> Old BT Wholesale are the ones. Also have a browse through my Troubleshooting section, in particular the Ring/Bell Wire and Miscellaneous Nasties pages. You might find something that you can do to improve the stability and speed of your line.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User ploddo
(newbie) Thu 27-Sep-12 15:49:53
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Many thanks for the information. BT have apparently done a reset and will be phoning me on Monday after a few days of monitoring. As you mention it, we did have a storm a week or two ago so maybe I will be lucky and get a bit of speed back in time. Possibly that is what caused the first two errors at the exchange/box too. I will take a look at your site in the meantime smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 27-Sep-12 16:05:39
Print Post

If they have done a reset time to look at the router stats to see if anything has changed.

Standard User ploddo
(newbie) Thu 27-Sep-12 16:30:50
Print Post

ADSL Line Status
Connection information
Connection time: 3 days, 03:34:36
Downstream: 1,056 Kbps

ADSL settings

Latency type: Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up): 9.8 dB / 11.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 16.3 dBm / 12.0 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up): 987124 / 3258
CRC Events (Down/Up): 11079 / 1959

Not much different - but I'm not sure how to interpret them

these were the stats on 4th September:
Connection time: 1 day, 19:14:20
Downstream: 1,088 Kbps

ADSL settings

Latency type: Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up): 7.0 dB / 10.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 16.6 dBm / 12.0 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 12
CRC Events (Down/Up): 2901 / 945
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 27-Sep-12 17:22:10
Print Post

No sign of a margin reset, but then they also need to force a router reboot for that to take effect.

Connection time: 3 days, 03:34:36

They have probably just reset the IP Profile or MSR recording, and NOT the target noise margin. Wait till daylight on Friday and give the router a single reboot if the connection time has reset itself over night.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 28-Sep-12 00:28:18
Print Post

From what I've seen re a few ISPs doing resets Andrew, it looks like there can be an up to 24-hour delay or so for BTW to action it. I've no idea why.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to