User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jorkila
(member) Wed 03-Oct-12 14:23:20
Print Post

Infinity 80/20

[link to this post]

So I signed up yesterday and should all be up and running on the 24th. I've been told that I should get 65mb down and 20mb up, what I'm trying to find out is how long my line is from the cabinet, on foot I'm only roughly 140m away but that may not be a true reflection!!!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 03-Oct-12 14:35:14
Print Post

Re: Infinity 80/20

[re: jorkila] [link to this post]

That is the best you can do for now, if 140m away then likely to be the full speed that you get

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jorkila
(member) Wed 03-Oct-12 15:22:47
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Will be more than happy with those speeds!!! Was just wondering if there was a mapping tool to tell me my line length from the cabinet.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User KenG
(newbie) Thu 04-Oct-12 07:47:03
Print Post

I have had 80/20 for a few weeks now.
Was told I would get full speed - approx 150m from cabinet.
Get 76/16 on average which I was told was about right.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 04-Oct-12 09:25:38
Print Post

[re: KenG] [link to this post]

80Meg is the maximum connection speed, once 4% is allowed for overheads you are down to the 76 figure you quote.

Hence why when advertised providers invariably list a figure of 76 or more woolly things like over x times faster than average broadband

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User benbird7
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 04-Oct-12 11:31:29
Print Post

I don't think you'll know until connected, depends on quality of line as well as length.

It is crazy how people (not just you) but on a lot of sites are so concerned with every little ounce of speed. Anything over 20mb would be lovely, I'm getting connected on the 25th Oct and on the 40/10 from sky, didn't see it worth while paying the extra £30, hardware and server uploads speeds won't always push the full 80mb anyway.

Regards,

Ben Bird

Xilo <--- The dog's danglies!
3km from Exchange
Downstream Att 61DB.

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by benbird7 (Thu 04-Oct-12 11:31:59)

Standard User dspillett
(committed) Fri 12-Oct-12 09:39:37
Print Post

[re: benbird7] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by benbird7:
I don't think you'll know until connected, depends on quality of line as well as length.
Also, the actual line length can sometimes be significantly more than you'd expect from the above-ground geography (though the variance is not as high as the for the cab->exchange difference, it can sometimes be significant).

It is crazy how people (not just you) but on a lot of sites are so concerned with every little ounce of speed. Anything over 20mb would be lovely,
It isn't just the downstream speed for some users: I was pretty happy with 11-ana-bit downstream from Be before I moved to FTTC, but I found the upstream speed limiting. Admittedly most home users don't work from home or want to run their own web services or similar from home, but even if you ignore P2P there are many things they do do that where upstream capability is significant. Uploading family photos and videos would be the key example and the bump from 0.4Mbit (as seen on most home accounts, of course some had the higher ~0.8mbit or more if on ADSL2+) to up-to-10mbit makes quite a difference for that even for occasional use. Off-site backups (or off-site storage more generally) is the other big one here.

Of course now I've got used to getting 75+ reliably downstream, you'll not find me volunteering to move back to 11ish any time soon! (even though for the vast majority of what I do 11 down is more then sufficient and anything more is simply a luxury).

--------------------------------------------------------
Current Line: Andrews & Arnold (AAISP) via 80/20 FTTC, getting close to the full rate both ways, joined July 2011, upgraded from 40/10 to 80/20 May 2012.
Previous setup: Be Pro with UploadPlus (ADSL2+, AnnexM), 12ish Mbit down, 1.6 up, happy customer for ~2.5 years.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 12-Oct-12 21:55:05
Print Post

[re: benbird7] [link to this post]

didn't see it worth while paying the extra £30,

extra £30? Its an extra £10 to make it £30/m for the Sky fibre Pro service. Obviously only worth it if your Openreach estimate is over 40/10 on the standard checker.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
13 years of broadband - ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(16M)/BT FTTC(50M)
Standard User MrPete
(experienced) Sun 14-Oct-12 19:15:17
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I'm about 200 mts from the cabinet and was quoted 63.5 & 20.
Installed on Thursday and the last test a couple of minutes ago was this :
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2241726754.png

Peter
The Aldi - Medion Support Forum

BE Unlimited - Thomson 585v7 Router
Standard User shopaholic
(newbie) Mon 15-Oct-12 00:43:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by jorkila:
So I signed up yesterday and should all be up and running on the 24th. I've been told that I should get 65mb down and 20mb up, what I'm trying to find out is how long my line is from the cabinet, on foot I'm only roughly 140m away but that may not be a true reflection!!!

Sorry how do you locate the cabinet?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to