User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ayjcee
(newbie) Thu 11-Oct-12 12:10:24
Print Post

Difference Between BT Broadband Speed Tester and Others

[link to this post]

I have recently moved to BT Broadband from TalkTalk as I was dissatisfied with the speeds that I was getting with my TalkTalk line – they were OK outside of peak time but woeful in peak time. With TalkTalk, I was on their ‘up to’ 8Mbps which, in practice, translated to about 6Mbps for download outside peak times but dropped to below 1 Mbps in peak (around 500Kbps and sometimes even lower!) – these measurements were taken regularly with both the TalkTalk and Think Broadband speed tests which were usually roughly in agreement and I haven’t had to rely on memory as I downloaded the spreadsheet records available to Think Broadband registered users.

I am now posting this in the hope that somebody can explain the difference between the BT Broadband Speed Checker (Here) and all the others available on the web.

When you are first connected to BT Broadband they warn you that your speeds will vary over the first ten days while they test your line to ascertain optimum speeds for it. During that time, I checked it every day early, mid-day and evening (usually around 0630, 1230 & 2000 hrs) with Think Broadband and, yes, it did vary – the first day it started at around 1Mbps for download but rose to 10Mbps by the end of the day. On the second day, it rose to a peak of 17.8Mbps which was unbelievably fast to use (well, to me anyway) but never reached that speed again as over the rest of the ‘test period’, the download speed dropped and dropped to the point where I am now outside of the BT test period and consistently seeing only 2 to 2.5Mbps over a 24 hour period.

I emphasise that those speeds were all recorded using Think Broadband but I am now doing tests using the BT checker mentioned above and the speeds which BT indicate for downloads are consistently in the 14 to 18 Mbps range. If I do the BT and TB test in quick succession, they generally show the BT calculated speed to be better than that of TB by a factor of around 7 (ie. TB at 2 Mbps whilst BT show 14Mbps). Now either they are measuring different things (or the sams things differently) or one of them is lying – all I know is that my general browsing experience is slower outside of peak times and I can tell by the time it takes to load pages.

I might have misunderstood something in these tests but I am now beginning to regret that I fell I for the BT sales pitch which promised me ‘up to’ 20 Mbps but ‘more likely’ 17 Mbps. I have tried to discuss thisl with BT Broadband technical support but they were no use whatsoever – indeed, I got the impression that he was reading from a script and as it didn’t cover my issue, I was wasting my time – it would also have helped for English to be his first language! According to the BT test, I am well within their ‘minimum guaranteed access speed’ (Here) for my area (about 4Mbps) and therefore cannot do anything about it. BUT that is only when measured using the BT speed tester – with any other, I am well below. I am beginning to feel very conned and might even start looking to withdraw from BT if I cannot get this settled.
Can anybody help.
I will happily post detailed records of my various tests or router stats if they will help.

Thanks in advance.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 11-Oct-12 12:40:44
Print Post

Re: Difference Between BT Broadband Speed Tester and Others

[re: ayjcee] [link to this post]

Router stats are the starting point, and also the contents of the down and up text boxes in a BT Speed test result please smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.4/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User ayjcee
(newbie) Thu 11-Oct-12 13:32:46
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

For what it's worth, upload speeds have been pretty consistent since I was first hooked up to BT - around the 900Kbps mark but to be honest, I am really not that bothered about upload speeds unless they have a material impact on downloads.
Download speeds are as in the original post - during the initial BT test period they started out at around 1Mbps, went up to over 17 and have now consistently down to between 2 & 3.

All speeds are from the TB test.

I havn't got time to go into the router at the moment but will do so later and post accordingly.along with the TB spreadsheet downloads for both my old TalkTalk line and the new BT one if you think that will help.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 11-Oct-12 14:40:18
Print Post

Get Windows Task Manager or TBB meter running and then run the BT, TBB and other speedtests in quick succession. Take a screen shot of TM or TBBmeter and using Windows Paint annotate it with the name of each test site. Host a copy of the image in a suitable location and provide a link to it.

From that, I will be easy to see approximately what speeds you are actually getting and if they are consistent with those you should get based on the stats RobertoS has asked for .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 11-Oct-12 16:48:55
Print Post

The BT speed test result contains other important information. The speeds by themselves are useless as they just confirm that you aren't blind smile.

The upload is occasional relevant, hence my request for that as well. I doubt if TT data would help.

If you post thinkbroadband results remember to remove your IP address from them.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User ayjcee
(newbie) Thu 11-Oct-12 19:09:31
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the contributions. I will post more info when I have time which, hopefully, will be over the weekend.
Standard User ayjcee
(newbie) Tue 16-Oct-12 12:29:01
Print Post

OK, I have now done all the tests etc. And here are the results:

ADSL Line Status from HomeHub 3

Connection Information
Line state: Connected
Connection time: 0 days, 00:27:11
Downstream: 23.71 Mbps
Upstream: 1.176 Mbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI: 0/38
Type: PPPoA
Modulation: G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type: Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up): 3.4 dB / 6.4 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 5.3 dB / 2.1 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 19.4 dBm / 11.6 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up): 41 / 24
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up): 20 / 7
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 61 / 13

BT Speed Test Result

Download Speed: 6.59Mbps
Acceptable Range: 4Mbps - 21 Mbps
IP Profile: 21.42Mbps

Upload Speed: 0.99Mbps
Upstream IP Profile: 0.83 Mbps

Think Broadand Speed Test

Download Speed: 1.8 Mbps
Upload Speed: 0.9 Mbps

Uswitch Speed Test

Dowload Speed: 1.7 Mbps
Upload Speed: 0.9 Mbps

For what it's worth, I followed the guidelines for the BT test and took all of the tests within a 10 minute period.

All I know is that my daytime BT connection is nowhere near as fast as I had from TalkTalk. Indeed, it was not even quick enough to watch non-HD YouTube videos earlier this morning without freezing to buffer.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 16-Oct-12 13:06:26
Print Post

Most of those stats look OK. Your connection speed is 23Mbps and there is nothing wrong with the downstream IP Profile which is the main speed limiter, but the upload speed being higher than that IP Profile is strange.

The 61 local error second count in 27 minutes is very high though. Did you just reconnect 27 minutes previously, or did you have the router switched off and it's 27 minutes since switch-on of it?

A screenshot of graphs running during the tests, as suggested my MHC, would have been very useful. Those would show whether you have a constant low speed or whether it is fluctuating wildly.

Are these tests using a wired or wireless connection to the router?

Have you ever done a Quiet line test with your phone? 17070 Option 2, and apart from the recorded voice it should be silent.

Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 16-Oct-12 16:29:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by ayjcee:
OK, I have now done all the tests etc. And here are the results:

No you haven't.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
  Print Thread