User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jorkila
(member) Wed 24-Oct-12 09:06:38
Print Post

Infinity install day

[link to this post]

So my infinity is supposed to go live today, engineer visit between 8-1, my phone line has gone dead already and obviously in turn my sky broadband went down at 8 this morning, is this normal?
Standard User G3UZF
(committed) Wed 24-Oct-12 10:44:01
Print Post

Re: Infinity install day

[re: jorkila] [link to this post]

When I had Infinity installed, Engineer 'phoned me before coming to my house to say that the telephone line would be down for 5-minutes or less.

All true to his word!

Allergy Advice: This post may contain traces of Meerkats.
Standard User dspillett
(committed) Wed 24-Oct-12 11:23:25
Print Post

When switching from Be LLU ADSL to FTTC via A&A, IIRC nothing stopped until I'd been called by the OR engineer would was at the time about to tinker with something in the cab become coming up to install the equipment in the flat.

--------------------------------------------------------
Current Line: Andrews & Arnold (AAISP) via 80/20 FTTC, getting close to the full rate both ways, joined July 2011, upgraded from 40/10 to 80/20 May 2012.
Previous setup: Be Pro with UploadPlus (ADSL2+, AnnexM), 12ish Mbit down, 1.6 up, happy customer for ~2.5 years.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Wed 24-Oct-12 12:24:47
Print Post

[re: dspillett] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dspillett:
When switching from Be LLU ADSL to FTTC via A&A, IIRC nothing stopped until I'd been called by the OR engineer would was at the time about to tinker with something in the cab become coming up to install the equipment in the flat.

Same with my BE to Infinity migration - BE was working until Openreach called at the cab, and he was at my door 20mins later.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
13 years of broadband - ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(16M)/BT FTTC(50M)
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 24-Oct-12 13:20:42
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Assuming he was on LLU phone as well, there could be a bit more exchange work to be done than for an SMPF migration.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.4/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User jorkila
(member) Wed 24-Oct-12 13:42:47
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Infinity all installed and getting the full 80/20 so well chuffed, engineer also told me that my line is capable of 110/35!!! Still waiting on my phone but been told it will be done by 5.
Standard User kitcat
(member) Wed 24-Oct-12 13:47:42
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I agree. My take is below and could indicate that Infinity may work before the voice service is restored. (edit : I see from the OP that this is correct!)

LLU Customer to Cab to MDF to LLU equipment

Infinity Customer to Cu Cab to Fibre Cab To Cu Cab to MDF to BT Voice equipment.

So needs

1. To move the termination in the exchange from Sky to BT. (By Openreach)

2. Port the number between operators and enable the voice service on BT. (BTRetail and Sky)

3. Then go to the cab and do the normal work (Openreach)

Where 1 & 3 may be different engineers.

I can see the potential that if 1 has happened and 2 has not that the person doing 3 will not be able to contact the customer and will 'fail' the appointment. Hope everybody gives a Mobile number and has it turned on!

2. Requires both Sky and BT to complete work so also has the potential to take some time to complete, certainly between start and finish times of each operator on the same day!

Edited by kitcat (Wed 24-Oct-12 13:53:02)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 24-Oct-12 14:11:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by jorkila:
Infinity all installed and getting the full 80/20 so well chuffed, engineer also told me that my line is capable of 110/35!!!
That's good news but remember at the moment you're on a wide open profile for a day or two before DLM starts making sure your connection is er, stable.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User think26872
(committed) Wed 24-Oct-12 19:15:19
Print Post

Do you happen to know you approximate distance from your cabinet and what your estimated speed according to the checker was? Thanks.
Standard User jorkila
(member) Wed 24-Oct-12 19:44:27
Print Post

[re: think26872] [link to this post]

Estaimated 65mb and i'm roughly 160m from the cab by road, my ip profile is 77.43mb!!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to