User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User scogh
(newbie) Tue 06-Nov-12 23:10:22
Print Post

Moved to a house with a third party active line

[link to this post]

Hi All
New to this site. Desperate for some help as to how to get back online asap.
I have moved house to a rented property which turns out to have an active telephone line which is apparently provided by a 3rd party provider for the previous tenant. The tenant had the line provided for him by his company, he thought by BT, although BT tell me it is not through them. He has been made redundant and has no contact with his former company, the notice on the line was supposed to be until the 25th of October, and that was when BT were supposed to take over the line and provide my line and BB. Come 25th October line remained active. Many many phonecalls later it remains active, no sign of any broadband and BT tell me that my only option is to have a 2nd line installed. OFcom say that that is not the case.
Anyone know how I can get this resolved? Finding the provider of the phoneline does not appear to be viable, so should i go ahead and order a new installation?
Any help greatly appreciated, I am nearly at the end of my tether.
Thanks Stefan
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 06-Nov-12 23:13:24
Print Post

Re: Moved to a house with a third party active line

[re: scogh] [link to this post]

Can you give us the URL of what samknows says about the exchage, using the phone number input?

Do you have any strong feelings about who the phone and/or broadband is to be with?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 52.9/14.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 06-Nov-12 23:19:18
Print Post

Is it possible to id the provider by dialling 17070 (BT Quiet Line Test) or 150 (BT's Customer Services)?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User scogh
(newbie) Tue 06-Nov-12 23:38:40
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks
Is this what you mean ?
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/WNGRE

No particular preference, like BT purely because i call overseas alot with 18185 and prefer the 5 number prefix to a full code.
Standard User scogh
(newbie) Tue 06-Nov-12 23:40:39
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thanks
Quietline test just allows the test to occur. 150 says not possible to call that service from this line and to use the number provided in the doicumentation provided ( sic)
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 06-Nov-12 23:44:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by scogh:
Quietline test just allows the test to occur.
Doesn't it say "Welcome to BT line test facilities"?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 06-Nov-12 23:45:32
Print Post

Does this checker recognise the number? If so, what does it tell you in terms of ADSLx and Fibre?

If it doesn't, then it means it is with either Sky or TalkTalk, or one of their resellers.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User scogh
(newbie) Tue 06-Nov-12 23:59:30
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Yes it defines the number and the welcome then gives options including 2 for quiet line
Thanks
Standard User scogh
(newbie) Wed 07-Nov-12 00:03:13
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks
The message is : There is no data available for this number. This could be either because it is not a BT line or it is a new BT number that has just been provided. Most new numbers will appear on the checker 24 hours after BT has installed the line.
So I can try customer services at Sky and Talk talk then to attempt to get it disconnected?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 07-Nov-12 00:14:02
Print Post

Or, whichever one of them agrees it is theirs, you could see if you can take it over as is. If they will do that, it could be by far your quickest (and cheapest) solution.

But make sure you check out what product choice you have. Particularly in terms of data allowance and throttling periods. Do you have any particular requirements re those?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to