User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User relax24
(newbie) Thu 08-Nov-12 12:50:03
Print Post

BT Infinity & P2P

[link to this post]

I'm currently with o2 on the 24mbps package but get around 6-7mbps download speed. Been like that for as long as I can remember, the highest I've ever got was 9mbps, so I'm thinking about switching to BT Infinity who have quoted the full speed as I live less than 100m from the cabinet (although I doubt I'll get this speed)

Question is, I'm a heavy p2p user. What are people's experiences with p2p speeds during peak time? I'm not interested in paying extra for a VPN service, and all the other providers like SKY/Plus Net require changing your line rental to them, and I'd quite like to keep my line rental with BT.

I did see a guy on here ("orly" I think his name was) get normal speeds during peaktime with some customization, but was wondering if anyone else had any luck with it? and what the normal speeds were during peak hours. I live in London if that makes any sort of difference?!

Thanks for your help
Standard User bluenapalm
(newbie) Thu 08-Nov-12 13:20:26
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity & P2P

[re: relax24] [link to this post]

Im on the BT Infinity Option 2.
I do alot of P2P too. I can confirm that BT are throttling uploading heavily at ALL TIMES. Their policy is not to throttle upload between 1am until 7am (approx). This is not true. Upload is throttled at all times to 100KB (near 1Mbit/s). I have tried to raise this with BT, but ofc course Ive spent 3 months trying to get them to look into it, but its like asking a 1 year old to map out the exact structure of a DNA helix.

I came from a connection which gave me 11Mbit down and 1Mbit up.
My current infinity package performs better on all fronts bar P2P upload, which it performs about the same.
This is important for people who need to "seed". If you dont need to seed, i'd recommend FTTC in a heart beat.

55Mbit down on all protocols, P2P, FTP.

18Mbit up on FTP all times
100-120K up on P2P all times

Cheers
Standard User relax24
(newbie) Thu 08-Nov-12 13:45:35
Print Post

[re: bluenapalm] [link to this post]

Cheers for that mate

You've mentioned your upload speeds, but what about downloads during peak times?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zadeks
(experienced) Thu 08-Nov-12 13:46:51
Print Post

Sky FTTC is the best for P2P users.

BT P2P shaping is quite random. Most of the time download will run at line speed but may be limited to 10KB/s during heavy network load. Upstream seems to be limited to 1Mb/s quite a lot of the time.
Standard User bluenapalm
(newbie) Thu 08-Nov-12 14:02:09
Print Post

"55Mbit down on all protocols, P2P, FTP." - I dont notice any throttling on download at any time. Whether this is due to contention in my area, im not sure. But its more than enough to live with to have anything 4 gig and below.

I cant comment on other FTTC providers, so i'd research the upload cap with others.

Cheers
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 08-Nov-12 14:02:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by relax24:
... and all the other providers like SKY/Plus Net require changing your line rental to them, and I'd quite like to keep my line rental with BT.
You don't have to move your line rental to Plusnet. Scroll half way down this page and there is a clickable blue banner across the page.

I'm on a BT Retail line with PN Extra Fibre. P2P throttling is to 2Mbps, 8pm-10pm, unthrottled at all other times. 250GB is 8am-midnight, unlimited midnight-8am. £19.99pm, one-off £5 if you want a fixed IP address.

Edit - upload is not throttled at any time.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.5/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 08-Nov-12 14:04:03)

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Nov-12 14:28:42
Print Post

If keeping you line rental with BT is so important, then maybe getting a fibre connection with the likes of Aquiss, Vivaciti .or ADLS24 ,Xilo or other smaller isp
is for you, none provide a unlimited usage product,but i think all provide unlimited data use between certain hours of the day,and may be unlimited over the weekends
As far as i know there's no throttling on those products,

Edited by tommy45 (Thu 08-Nov-12 14:35:07)

Standard User relax24
(newbie) Thu 08-Nov-12 14:54:59
Print Post

Ahh cheers...didn't know if you meant at all times or during off peak hours.

Ta
Standard User epyon
(experienced) Fri 09-Nov-12 01:25:14
Print Post

Out of peak times

my upload is around 800KB/s

for p2p

BTInfinity - Aberdeen denburn (110m) from cab

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by epyon (Fri 09-Nov-12 01:28:38)

Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Fri 09-Nov-12 05:08:33
Print Post

It's definitely worth considering a switch of the line rental and calls package.

I have BT infinity and Sky Fibre service so I can comment on both. I find that BT seems to throttle upload to anything between 1Kb/s and 100Kb/s. Usually around 70 Kb/s upload... This seems pretty much 24 hours a day & I think the upload on torrents is always restricted. I've never seen a quick upload with torrents.

Downloading can be anywhere between 80 Kb/s and 350 Kb/s during peak times & around 5 Mb/s off peak. There are peak times when there appears to be no throttling however this is rare. I live in a very busy area with high take up of fibre & BT so this probably doesn't help.

With Sky I see 8.2 Mb/s at all times on peer to peer & torrents. Upload can easily max out at 2.1 Mb/s.
Overall the Sky connection is better I find. I do use the sky connection 99% of the time. The BT is just a freebie from work.

BT is full wack on everything else although I notice iplayer buffers quite a few times throughout a program whereas on Sky it doesn't.

I would definitely consider a line rental switch over. I did so and don't regret it. Sky gave me line rental for £1 for 12 months now too. They have some good deals once you're an existing customer.

Should add really I'm not too keen on the homehub. My ethernet keeps slowing down to around 0.7Mbps for some silly reason. Still haven't got to the bottom of that but luckily I mainly just use WiFi. I have had far more slowdowns on BT, e.g. it may give me 40Mbps on speedtest when I'm synced at 80 for a little while. This being said, this never lasts long and if I test later it's all back to normal.

Overall both services are good. The BT 80Mbps service is cheaper than Sky's. I pay £30 to Sky + line rental.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Fri 09-Nov-12 05:30:04)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to