User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User packetman
(member) Thu 08-Nov-12 13:21:20
Print Post

Stuck IP Profile - help!

[link to this post]

I have been helping someone with their broadband problems. They have good old-fashioned ADSL, none of this fancy fibre stuff!

The problem is very slow download speed. I ran the BT speedtester, and this showed that the downstream sync speed of the router was around 5.8Mbps, but the IP profile was only 250K. Upstream was OK, and actually faster than downstream. I tried the trick of making sure the router was off overnight and reconnecting, but the result was the same.

I phoned BT on his behalf, and explained the problem. However the customer service guy then insisted I plug the router straight into the socket behind the NTE5 faceplate, try a different filter etc. I did this to humour him. I explained that these tests were fine for a slow sync speed, but the problem wasn't that, it was the line profile, and asked if he could reset it so the line could re-train. He said he would do some tests from their end, then finally coming back and saying the replacement filter I put in was making it much better and it would be fine now. Realising I wasn't going to get any further, I finished the call. Out of interest I repeated the speed test with exactly the same results, as I would have expected.

My question is, how can I bypass the Indian call centre and get someone who knows what they're doing to reset the line IP profile? Or do I have to keep phoning and hassling them until, like a lottery, I get to the right person? Thanks for any advice!
Standard User shtu
(experienced) Thu 08-Nov-12 14:52:50
Print Post

Re: Stuck IP Profile - help!

[re: packetman] [link to this post]

tweet the BTCare people.
Standard User packetman
(member) Thu 08-Nov-12 16:53:42
Print Post

[re: shtu] [link to this post]

I'll give it a try, thanks.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tthom
(regular) Thu 08-Nov-12 17:06:26
Print Post

[re: packetman] [link to this post]

Or call cancellations they soon get you too a call centre in the UK

Print Thread

Jump to