User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User superspeed
(newbie) Thu 08-Nov-12 21:05:03
Print Post

P2P speed test on BT Infinity Fibre 2

[link to this post]

I have posted this on Plusnet forum for the same reason's but would be greatfull if BT infinity 2 customers only, could do the same.

Hi folks. I would like if some of you could download a legal torrent file in the link below. Then please tell me what speed your getting. This is so I can see some real world tests on how much BT's traffic management limits P2P on it's network. Different times of the day and night if you could please.

Unfortunately conflicting information about and this is the only way, so I can decide who to go with. Here is a snap shot I did at 5PM today with my current isp. That is very good for me as for the speed I get.

See this snapshot http://i50.tinypic.com/2wmgbvl.jpg

Link http://ocremix.org/torrents/ Please download the first torrent, or one that is well seeded.

Let it run for a while as it takes time to build up speed.

Edited by superspeed (Thu 08-Nov-12 21:09:55)

Standard User epyon
(experienced) Fri 09-Nov-12 16:01:39
Print Post

Re: P2P speed test on BT Infinity Fibre 2

[re: superspeed] [link to this post]

Best i got before it downloaded

http://i45.tinypic.com/2hptvtc.png

7.5MB/s

BTInfinity - Aberdeen denburn (110m) from cab

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User superspeed
(learned) Fri 09-Nov-12 19:07:08
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

Thanks. Well that is enough 7.5 MB/s. Better than my measly 1.2 MB/s but then I don't have a 50meg fibre services. Lol

I gather that was about the time you posted 4PM daytime? Just need some on plusnet to do the test, to make it fair now.

Edited by superspeed (Fri 09-Nov-12 19:08:26)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User StephenTodd
(committed) Tue 13-Nov-12 15:35:57
Print Post

It took a time to get up to speed, then went at around 4MBps (48Mbps). Around 15:10, Infinity 2; 71Mbps IP profile.

--
Moved (with trepidation) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User roughbeast
(newbie) Tue 13-Nov-12 15:56:19
Print Post

I'm with Virgin Media on a 100Mb connection. I use BTGuard with uTorrent so my torrents go through a proxy in Canada usually.

I downloaded a 1.08Gb file from the site you gave. (101 seeds / 20 leeches) The torrent didn't have time to max out because it downloaded in <2mins. However the maximum speed I registered was 10.5MB. I'm quite pleased with that considering that my connection on max is 12MB. I'm assuming here that 6MB=50Mb approximately.

Whoops! Sorry. Just saw you only wanted BT customers.

Virgin Media: 100mb/10Mb , land line, mobiles x2, TV - VIP HD box + TIVO 1Tb box.

Edited by roughbeast (Tue 13-Nov-12 15:59:59)

Standard User bluenapalm
(newbie) Tue 13-Nov-12 16:28:01
Print Post

My two cents is that download is fine and rarely annoys me due to traffic shaping.

Upload however is a different issue. 100-120K upload at ALL times for me. If you don't need to seed then you're good to go with BT Infinity Option 2. Work arounds that manipulate the packet and hand shake only work temporarily. Perhaps an IPS is in use specifically for P2P.

Guess I'll just wait for BE There to get some fibre rolled out.

Cheers
Standard User StephenTodd
(committed) Tue 13-Nov-12 16:52:33
Print Post

[re: bluenapalm] [link to this post]

Upload however is a different issue. 100-120K upload at ALL times for me.
I assume you mean p2p upload here? I have never had issues with upload on Infinity unless it is the target site going slow (and many do): pretty regular 17Mbps whenever I have needed it.

--
Moved (with trepidation) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User bluenapalm
(newbie) Tue 13-Nov-12 16:54:10
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

Yeah, only Bit Torrent traffic is limited. I get full speed for other protocols, such as FTP.
Standard User superspeed
(regular) Tue 13-Nov-12 17:25:08
Print Post

[re: bluenapalm] [link to this post]

Thanks and stephen as well for the test's. smile

I did some searching last night and many BT customers seem to be saying that, BT restrict the upload on P2P to, 1meg speed all the time.

Many BT Infinity broadband users seem to be saying, BT traffic manage 24/7, despite BT stating in T&C's only at peak times. confused
How true this is I don't know but I also think in may be linked to congested exchanges.

My exchange is on geen according to the plusnet checker, so I may not have the same 24/7 traffic management as others do.

Edited by superspeed (Tue 13-Nov-12 17:26:39)

Standard User relax24
(learned) Tue 13-Nov-12 17:33:12
Print Post

I was in the same predicament as you. Went ahead and ordered Plusnet extra fibre instead of bt infinity 2. The risk of the poor speeds was too much, especially when tied down to an 18month contract.

I'll do a plusnet p2p test for you when it gets activated if you still need it lol
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to