User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zrerz
(committed) Fri 09-Nov-12 13:30:49
Print Post

new router required

[link to this post]

Hi All,

I have BT infinity 2, and BT vision, using the home hub 3, but its wireless performance is very poor.

My house has thick walls (built in 1950).

I tried using other options to get a good wireless signal upstairs to my sons xbox and other sons PC, but none work very well, these include inline power adaptors, including one that was a wireless output from the upstairs powerline, but using these means I have to use one of the four ethernet sockets on the homehub 3 to get a signal into it, meaning I loose an ethernet connections downstairs ( I have an xbox 360, PS3, BT vision youview box, and PC connected to the homehub 3, which means to connect wireless upstairs via the inline power adaptos, I must disconnect one of the ethernet cables from another device, not a good option.

This is why I thought I'd ask here, to see if anyone had ideas to get a good wireless signal upstairs (the BT homehub 3 is so poor, downstairs in sight of it, my son can't get a wireless signal to his laptop and this is a few feet from the homehub 3) and I'm on my 7th homehub 3, same for the wireless printer, it see's a signal, but very weak, changed wireless settings and channels in the hub, but no real differance).

Perhaps a new wireless broadband router that works with infinity 2 and BT vision is the way forward, but which one?

Thanks in advance.

Dave.
BTinfinity option 2
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 09-Nov-12 13:43:06
Print Post

Re: new router required

[re: zrerz] [link to this post]

If the powerline works, why not just buy a cheap gigabit ethernet or even cheaper 100 Meg Ethernet switch and add this to the HomeHub

Wireless signal strengths dont really vary much, just the antenna design, and if a solid object like concrete floor is the issue mimo and other options unlikely to help

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 09-Nov-12 14:01:55
Print Post

The HomeHub is actually one of the good ones in terms of wireless signal. You should easily get signal in line of sight though, that's very odd.

I wouldn't bother buying other routers as you're likely to just waste money. What I'd do is install a switch into the HH to get more ethernet ports & then use powerline 500 adapters. Get 3 of these in total and install a wireless Access Point into each one. So that's 2 more AP's

This is assuming the wireless worked well with the homeplugs before?

Edited by ukhardy07 (Fri 09-Nov-12 14:03:05)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 09-Nov-12 17:31:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by zrerz:
Perhaps a new wireless broadband router that works with infinity 2 and BT vision is the way forward, but which one?

I assume you've already used inSSIDer on a laptop (Windows or Mac) or Android tablet or phone to check you have the best channel ? don't trust the advertising that says the HomeHub 3 does this for you. Use inSSIDer and set your own channel.

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

Homeplug is the best for your sort of building, such as these:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-PA411KIT-AV500-Power...
or these:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zyxel-500Mbps-Slimline-Power...

and a cheap 8 port switch such as this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Unmanaged-Desktop-TL...

That would give you many more ports downstairs too smile

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User zrerz
(committed) Fri 09-Nov-12 18:41:52
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Thanks for that, got one of the cheap 8 port switches you mention on order from amazon, hope to get it saturday 10th, so post back with results.

Dave.
BTinfinity option 2
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 09-Nov-12 19:20:38
Print Post

I would have got one of these www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Gigabit-Unmanaged-Desktop-TL-SG1005D/dp/B000N99BBC

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User zrerz
(committed) Fri 09-Nov-12 19:45:49
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Was just in time to get amazon to change it to the one you recommended, so it's on order for Monday delivery.

Dave.
BTinfinity option 2
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 09-Nov-12 20:36:46
Print Post

Hope it goes well smile
Standard User Garyilka
(knowledge is power) Fri 09-Nov-12 21:36:20
Print Post

I'm currently using one of these - the dogs proverbials!!!!!

http://www.netgear.com/R6300#

Very strong signal throughout the house using channels 8+4 on the 2.4Ghz range and strong throughout the 5Ghz range. Just waiting for a laptop with ac that I can afford!!!!!!.
Standard User zrerz
(committed) Fri 09-Nov-12 23:40:24
Print Post

[re: Garyilka] [link to this post]

liked the look of these, after I read review of it in PC Advisors November issue, but not in my price range yet (hopefully, after christmas, might treat myself).

Thanks for your comments, so you get a strong wireless signal upstairs without having bought the matching USB adaptors for 802.ac?

I was looking at these in amazon, but price was near £70 each, so not for me just yet.

Dave.
BTinfinity option 2
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to