User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User zrerz
(committed) Mon 12-Nov-12 12:11:09
Print Post

infinity cable

[link to this post]

Hi All,

Does anyone know the name/type of cable that connects from BT's infinity openreach modem from the socket on the wall?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm trying to relocate the thing away from behind the HD tv that BT's engineer installed it.

I have what appears to be two sockets in one mounted one above the other on the wall, the top one is the one I'm asking about, a very thin grey cable that goes to the white open reach box, which in turns goes to the BT home hub 3 via another cable.

Once I know what I'm looking for, I can try to move it safely, without damaging the infinity 2 signal.

thanks in advance

Dave.
BTinfinity option 2
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 12-Nov-12 12:32:20
Print Post

Re: infinity cable

[re: zrerz] [link to this post]

It's basically unshielded twisted pair (UTP) with RJ11 plugs. The BT cable spec is CW1308.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 12-Nov-12 12:44:38
Print Post

The Pro+ cables at http://www.adslnation.com/phpapps/catalog/index.php?... should do you fine, just order the right length or make up your own.

Avoid leads like http://www.adslnation.com/phpapps/catalog/product_in... as these are not twisted pair, and may impact on the VDSL2 signal.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 12-Nov-12 12:46:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by zrerz:
Does anyone know the name/type of cable that connects from BT's infinity openreach modem from the socket on the wall?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm trying to relocate the thing away from behind the HD tv that BT's engineer installed it.
BatBoy has answered about the cable.

I'm a bit concerned as to why you need to move the modem, as its not something most people ever go near, but more importantly how far you wish to move it.

A longer cable than the standard one, of the same spec, is not recommended at all. That's why the Home Wiring Solution is available for your ISP to order pre-installation. That is higher quality, (apparently CAT 5), and normally fitted in lengths up to 30m.

Too late for that now, but there is nothing to stop you or someone on your behalf installing such a cable.

If the modem could stay where it is, but the Home Hiub position is an issue, the cable between the two is standard ethernet, and you can simply replace that with any length of that you wish. Maximum length is 100m.

There is no need for the two to be close together.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.5/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User zrerz
(committed) Mon 12-Nov-12 15:11:14
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi everyone, many thanks for all your comments and suggestions.

I've decided to leave the infinity box where it is, based on comments here, and get a longer ethernet cable to move the home hub 3 away from behind the HD tv, where BT's engineers fitted it.

I was told not to have the thing hidded (homeHub3) but to move it to where it's more open to try to improve the signal from it, because at the moment, it's hidden well behind the flat screen 50" panel, so I assume this is not a good location for the hub?

Again, thanks to everyone.

Dave.
BTinfinity option 2
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 12-Nov-12 15:41:22
Print Post

That sounds the easiest. You can get various lengths of ethernet cable, even different colours if it helps. But there are different qualities of that as well, so I suggest you give us links to what you are thinking of and get advice on those.

The quality of the cable between the modem and Home Hub does matter, though you don't need to get the most expensive you can find.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.5/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 12-Nov-12 16:06:00
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

For simplicity, I always recommend "Cables to Go" as the manufacturer. Not always the cheapest but always decent quality and Kikatek keep most sizes and colours in stock with delivery included.

http://www.kikatek.com/advanced_search_result.php?ke... and just change the colour.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 12-Nov-12 16:55:01
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

As no one has explicitly said it, you need a CAT5E patch cable

if happy to pay an arm and a leg you can get one on the high street, and any sales staff will try and sell you one that is gold plated and oxygen free for a fortune, ignore them. Also avoid PCWorld where cables cost five times their online price.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 12-Nov-12 17:22:43
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The OP did say an Ethernet cable ... and my link goes to Cat5e cables ... so hopefully that was enough of a pointer!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User zrerz
(committed) Mon 12-Nov-12 17:25:18
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Once more, thanks to all of you.

Here is what I've placed on order via amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003CL71II/ref=oh...

Dave.
BTinfinity option 2
  Print Thread

Jump to