User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TLMC
(member) Wed 14-Nov-12 13:36:53
Print Post

Email Accounts

[link to this post]

Just decided to leave BT and move to Sky (it's free for a year and unlimited) and was wondering about my email accounts. Is there any way of keeping them?

Thanks

TLMC
Standard User StephenTodd
(committed) Wed 14-Nov-12 13:51:35
Print Post

Re: Email Accounts

[re: TLMC] [link to this post]

Only way appears to be to upgrade to a premium email account http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProduc... at £1.54 per month. Your old BT email will last 90 days otherwise.

I suggest you migrate to a neutral provider (such as gmail or yahoo) so that moving ISP in future will not be an issue. You can probably get BT to forward to the new provider, or the new provider to pick up BT email automatically in the meantime so you don't have to look at two email streams. The main thing is whether you can get all your friends to move your contact to the new email within 90 days; and all the companies you have email registrations with.

--
Moved (with trepidation) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 14-Nov-12 14:00:22
Print Post

Re: Email Accounts (edited)

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

He can keep it for ever, free, as long as he uses it.
See here.

If he does go for the paid for option, then there is little hassle on any further moves. Just a couple of changes in his email client settings.

Edit - My opening lines are wrong - things have changed. I believe it used to be possible, as long as you used it regularly.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.5/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 14-Nov-12 14:07:37)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 14-Nov-12 14:03:24
Print Post

As StephenTodd says, and my reply to him. Another option if you consider paying is to get yourself a personal domain and an third-party email service. Yours for ever for well nder £2 per month (averaged over two years). See this page.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.5/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User zrerz
(committed) Wed 14-Nov-12 16:00:16
Print Post

as all the others have said, you'll find it less hassle to go to some one like www.one.com and buy a domain (mine cost me £9.99 for a year, and I got my domain free).
This email account is yours forever, as long as you keep the domain live, not used the others recommended here, but one.com has been great and simple to use and set up.

Dave.
BTinfinity option 2
Standard User StephenTodd
(committed) Wed 14-Nov-12 16:10:38
Print Post

[re: zrerz] [link to this post]

One disadvantage of the free email providers I mentioned (gmail, yahoo, ...) is that every now and then a site insists on having a non-free one as they consider that more secure and robust against false sign-ups. I happen to have access to other email addresses that satisfy such sites (including my BT email). I almost never use them for anything other than registering at such sites, but have them available on the rare situations I need them. If you don't have access to such an address, you may find it worth using a paid service such as the other posters have mentioned.

--
Moved (with trepidation) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User TLMC
(member) Wed 14-Nov-12 16:34:54
Print Post

Thanks to all. I have three other accounts but BT was my main one for years (got the mail address I wanted rather than some of the others) and that's the one I use for "formal" communications. Use the others so I know who generates spam (sells your details) etc. when registering on various sites. Will probably look at getting my own domain so I can get the mail address I want.

I'll monitor for the next 90 days and change the formal registrations to my new one.

Again, thanks for the help and advice

TLMC
Standard User IanBB
(member) Wed 14-Nov-12 16:37:50
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Edit - My opening lines are wrong - things have changed. I believe it used to be possible, as long as you used it regularly.

It must be a very recent change.

I still have a pay as you go account with BT which I keep active by using my mobile to send an email via a data connection every couple of months.

I've done it just now for the grand sum of 20p so that should give me another 90 days of grace!

Edited by IanBB (Wed 14-Nov-12 16:43:18)

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Wed 14-Nov-12 17:10:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by TLMC:
Just decided to leave BT and move to Sky (it's free for a year and unlimited) and was wondering about my email accounts. Is there any way of keeping them?

The good news is that any Sky.com email addresses you create are free forever.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 14-Nov-12 17:57:59
Print Post

[re: IanBB] [link to this post]

Last time I actually logged on to BTInternet.com was two or three years back (maybe more) but I still have the email accounts which are on auto forward to elsewhere.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to