User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jakdos
(regular) Sat 01-Dec-12 10:19:16
Print Post

Should I switch from O2 to BT /

[link to this post]

I'm just wondering if anyone else had the same sort of issue? I'm with O2 on the old legacy package, £18pm and unlimited - approx 9.5mb/s speed. I'm wanting to switch to fibre but the BT line checker only estimates 10.7Mbps for £26pm

Is the line checker generally on the conservative side, and would I realistically get a faster speed? My cabinet multiplier is 2.69. Have others been given a low estimate but received much better?

Standard User m1ke_hawkins
(experienced) Sat 01-Dec-12 12:24:17
Print Post

Re: Should I switch from O2 to BT /

[re: jakdos] [link to this post]

Hi,

I've just had BT Infinity installed and my estimate was 37Mbps and on installation I got 65Mbps!!

Mike

BTInfinity
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 01-Dec-12 12:38:34
Print Post

What is the line checker estimating for the ADSL/ADSL2+ based services?

BT Retail sometimes does not like to install Infinity if the estimate is below 15 Meg, they offer a product that is physically the same, but called something else. Helps keep Infinity speeds for advertising high.

Generally the Openreach checker errs on the conservative side, but I would not bet my life on it. As of the 100's we see regrading perhaps 1 or 2 get just the estimate or lower. Best thing you can do is pace out distance to the cabinet and figure out the line length for yourself

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jakdos
(regular) Sat 01-Dec-12 12:58:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I'll go hunting for the cabinet !. I've not seen one about other than a few streets away and I doubt that will be supplying the entire neighborhood. Seems to be an abundance of VM cabinets frown

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 3.5Mbps and 7.5Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL2+ broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 6Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 4Mbps and 8Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 1Mbps and downstream line speed of 6Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 4Mbps and 8Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 10.7Mbps

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 01-Dec-12 14:53:48
Print Post

So looks like they've just taken the low estimate from ADSL2+, so you could talk of the range being 10.7 to 20 Mbps for the FTTC service, if you multiple the high and low for ADSL2+.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User epyon
(experienced) Tue 04-Dec-12 01:24:37
Print Post

if your getting 9mbps now then i think 25 (sync) would not be unreasonable kind of speed to expect imo.

BTInfinity - NSDEN using TP-Link W8960n

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 04-Dec-12 02:05:44
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

But they are completely unrelated. ADSL is dependant on line distance to exchange while FTTC on distance to cab. There is no correlation.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 04-Dec-12 02:16:01
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Aluminium could be a factor too.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 04-Dec-12 02:39:09
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

There is no correlation between Cu & Al either.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User epyon
(experienced) Tue 04-Dec-12 05:45:28
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

i didnt say there was but considering how vdsl2 works vs adsl2+ distance wise double the his current sync speed should be possible ...actually very likely imo.

BTInfinity - NSDEN using TP-Link W8960n

My Broadband Speed Test
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to