User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 07-Dec-12 08:39:20
Print Post

swapping the router

[link to this post]

does changing the router so dropping PPP affect DLM, I will keep the modem connected and powered on if I can get away with it, or does swapping the router need a power cycle on the modem also?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 07-Dec-12 09:22:27
Print Post

Re: swapping the router

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Changing the router does not affect the modem connection nor the Openreach DLM. There is no problem doing it. You do not need to power cycle the modem.

I would still not change the router, (or reboot it), a lot within a short period. The BTW DLM still performs some functions, though apart from the IP Profile setting I don't know what. Just prudence smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.7/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 07-Dec-12 10:38:17
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Changing the router does not affect the modem connection nor the Openreach DLM. There is no problem doing it. You do not need to power cycle the modem.

I would still not change the router, (or reboot it), a lot within a short period. The BTW DLM still performs some functions, though apart from the IP Profile setting I don't know what. Just prudence smile.

How I wish your first statement could be 100% true. I have four 2wire 2701 routers all with the same firmware build and I have even checked the releases of the component modules. There are two hardware builds - 008 and 009. -008 gives a great stable throughput but the -009s are all over the place! and caused the line profile to be reduced.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 07-Dec-12 12:28:43
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Ummm. A good point, but in essence you are talking about faulty kit. Not what I believe the OP was asking, but a valid concern perhaps. In my opinion it's less likely to be an issue than the same thing happening on ADSLx.

You also seem to be saying that the chaos caused the sync to drop? That's interesting, as we don't know how that could be caused other than by the BTW DLM telling the OR one that it wasn't happy. The OR DLM is, so far as I'm aware, nothing to do with session control. Any contrary information or ideas?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 07-Dec-12 12:57:09
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

You might think it is faulty - but it does not appear so ... I have tried quite a few of each build on the line with the same results and they can work perfectly on other line. Currently with 2wire for investigation but they are scratching their heads too.

Yes, the -009 routers resulted in a lower profile. Put the -008 back on, wait for a while and it would be back up! BT moved it from Tech Support to Second line and then to the development team before putting the issues to 2Wire.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Edited by MHC (Fri 07-Dec-12 13:00:43)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 07-Dec-12 13:07:15
Print Post

Faulty, as in doesn't work as it should. But if they also work properly on a different line, then that is really wierd. At the same time, it reduces its significance for general advice purposes.

Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 07-Dec-12 17:09:24
Print Post

any ideas on routers with enough grunt? smile

tried my £150 billion 7402nx and it doesnt have the grunt to get past about 50mbit/sec.

I left it on for now so can run a tbb graph but I will either get a new router that I know has the power (preferably ddwrt compatible) or put the hh3 back in for a bit tommorow.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 07-Dec-12 18:41:21
Print Post

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/router-charts/...

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 07-Dec-12 18:49:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by MHC:
How I wish your first statement could be 100% true. I have four 2wire 2701 routers all with the same firmware build and I have even checked the releases of the component modules. There are two hardware builds - 008 and 009. -008 gives a great stable throughput but the -009s are all over the place! and caused the line profile to be reduced.

I suspect the OP was talking about FTTC and not ADSL, but his post wasn't clear smile

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 07-Dec-12 18:50:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
any ideas on routers with enough grunt? smile
tried my £150 billion 7402nx and it doesnt have the grunt to get past about 50mbit/sec.

My Draytek 2820 I'm told maxes out at 50mbit/sec, but sadly my line is only capable of 45mbit/s, so I'm ok for now until I need IPv6.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to