User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User musicaddict
(newbie) Tue 11-Dec-12 21:09:47
Print Post

VOIP and BT Infinity 2 traffic shaping

[link to this post]

Hi,

I am looking to sign up to the Infinity 2 plan but wanted to know if people have had experience with using VOIP on these plans. My main concern is that I don't know how the traffic shaping works and don't want the shaping to affect the call quality/latency. Previously I was on a Virgin adsl plan and there was always a bit of lag during calls. I am currently with Zen and the call quality is pretty good. Any comments from VOIP users would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 11-Dec-12 21:33:47
Print Post

Re: VOIP and BT Infinity 2 traffic shaping

[re: musicaddict] [link to this post]

Infinity should have plenty of bandwidth to be able to support VOIP with ease, however using the default modem and router, they seem to apply shaping almost randomly using the TR069 interface.

It is possible to replace the modem or even load hacked firmware, in order to close off this potential shaping vector, but as I say it appears to be random and may not affect you anyway.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 11-Dec-12 21:53:09
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Not come across the use of the remote config TR069 interface for traffic management/shaping usually this is the job of much more expensive hardware in the central network.

Where is the use of tr069 for throttling documented?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 11-Dec-12 22:01:27
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

You should ask BT about that wink

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 11-Dec-12 23:09:50
Print Post

I will do, just curious to find out what the Internet people have to say about it first.

TR-069 is normally used for remote configuration of hardware, i.e. you plug in router and DSLAM sees it and configures router and can do remote firmware upgrades etc via the XML SOAP interface.

There is of course the use of reserved bandwidth that BT Vision has had with various versions of hardware over the years, which I presume is still in place. But not sure how that pertains to a VoIP enquiry and BT Infinity 2 which should be running a LOT LOT faster than any BT Vision/YouView IPTV content.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 11-Dec-12 23:15:12
Print Post

One of the problems BT would face doing shaping using expensive hardware in the central network is that they use centralplus which is straight onto the internet, so no opportunity to shape there.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 11-Dec-12 23:31:01
Print Post

Incorrect, Central Plus (which is not really used now) had the perfect setup for this, in that there was 16 to 22 nodes where servers such as the Ellacoya's (which they had and used and probably still are) could be place, and thus reduce the amount of Internet bandwidth that had to be purchased.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 11-Dec-12 23:34:53
Print Post

You really need to speak to BT, I'm sure they would be surprised to learn Centralplus is not really used now.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 11-Dec-12 23:45:19
Print Post

Central Plus is the IPStream based system, and thus only relevant in the 15% or so where the WBC network is not available, and even then IPStream Connect product lets them handle the old exchanges via the newer WBC network

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 12-Dec-12 00:30:24
Print Post

[re: musicaddict] [link to this post]

I use VOIP on a BT Infinity business connection and it barely dents the available bandwidth even when using two lines. Even if you were dramatically shaped as VOIP is prioritised you will not see any difference in quality or latency - The latency is not noticeable - I do a lot of work on remote satellite comms and am very aware of latency be it just a fraction of a second or two to three seconds.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to