User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User aps2011
(newbie) Wed 12-Dec-12 16:55:44
Print Post

Migration to BT Broadband - username?

[link to this post]

In a couple of days my ADSL connection (< 8Meg service with sync at about 5Mbit, not ADSL 2) will be changing to BT. As there are some hardware changes (Homehub 3 replacing modem and an elderly cable wireless b/g router) I am planning a 'phased migration' by using my existing modem and wireless equipment for a little while until I have sorted out the email clients (new SMTP and its restrictions on other email identities). I then will then install the Homehub, sorting out the DHCP ip address range to avoid any risk of a clash with a NAS which has a fixed ip address. There loads of other tasks such as changing the wireless SSID, password, re-establishing the links with 5 wireless devices.

There are 3 questions:-Firstly, are there any pitfalls in this migration strategy - e.g. the exchange seeing a change of modem after a few days?
Secondly, the instructions on page 16 of the BT Total Broadband User guide indicates that the connection user name is broadband.user@btbroadband.com with no, or dummy, password. Is the username really broadband.user or should it be the username I created when signing up and is the first part of the new BT primary email address?
Lastly, the exchange went 21CN a few weeks ago though my existing ISP was unable to get a date for bulk migration ("could be a few months"). What are the chances of BT alteing the connection to ADSL2+?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 12-Dec-12 17:06:39
Print Post

Re: Migration to BT Broadband - username?

[re: aps2011] [link to this post]

The Homehub 3 is nasty although your neighbours may appreciate you offering the BT Wifi connection to them. DLM is interested in errors and retrains especially in the first 10 days, so it may reduce your line profile if you disconnect and reconnect too often.
The username really is that, with no password needed. Just as an example, my fibre modem username is bthomehub@btbroadband.com, again with no password.
I don't know what will happen about ADSL2+ for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________

Edited by BatBoy (Wed 12-Dec-12 17:09:54)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 12-Dec-12 17:09:36
Print Post

Where is you email hosted? Is the problem just that BT block port 25 for other SMTP, because that can be got round.

I don't quite see the logic of not using the HomeHub from the start. I don't see that it makes any difference to changing the email client setup. But there should be no problem swapping after a few days. Just don't do lots of reconnections in a short period, however you proceed.

Yes, that really is the username to use.

Unless you have something wrong at the moment, and should be getting nearer 8Mbps connection now, ADSL2+ isn't going to give you any more download speed. Just more upload. Note - you didn't mean ADSL 2, you meant ADSL2+ which is not the same thing.

Come the day that BT put you on ADSL2+, which may be Day 1, you will probably find your best option is to force it down to ADSL2, in the interests of both speed and stability.

Have you ever checked your extension wiring or seen what speed you sync at using the test socket, compared to your normal socket?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.7/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User aps2011
(newbie) Wed 12-Dec-12 17:53:19
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for this:
Re SMTP, I plan to switch to BT's service from current ISP's and verify the various email identities so I can still send from Thunderbird.

By leaving the HomeHub for a little while, I can maintain connectivity and do the hardware changes when a bit less busy. It will be a one-off change unless I run into problems!

I'm not expecting much of a download speed change (speed checker measures ~3.3 Mbit) but a little more upload speed would be nice.

The current Solwise 605EH modem is as close to the 1979 vintage BT master socket in the hall as is possible (about 4 metres of wiring) with the filter/splitter plugged into the master socket . All phone sockets are on extension wiring plugged into the voice side of the filter. Ethernet over powerline is used to get the connection to a useful location. I have tried moving the modem even closer to the socket (1 metre) but there was no discernable benefit.

From looking at what is being broadcast, a couple of neighbours have HomeHubs but the signal strength is not too good (detached houses). However, I followed RobertoS's advice and used inSSIDer, altering the wireless channel to avoid conflict - now no overlap.
Standard User aps2011
(newbie) Wed 12-Dec-12 17:54:50
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 12-Dec-12 17:58:44
Print Post

Don't bother installing the BT software, including NetProtect - it doesn't like Thunderbird.

Oh, and BT's servers e.g. SMTP and DNS have always been poor and still are.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 12-Dec-12 18:42:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by aps2011:
All phone sockets are on extension wiring plugged into the voice side of the filter.
You will almost certainly have an unfiltered ring/bell wire in every one of those extension leads. That could do a lot of damage.

Are you saying the master socket is an LJ 2/1A as on the right here? If so, I suggest you fit an NTE5 next to it as described here. Replace the standard faceplate with a filtered faceplate, and that will filter the ring wires.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Basenji
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 13-Dec-12 14:43:24
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
<snip>The username really is that, with no password needed. Just as an example, my fibre modem username is bthomehub@btbroadband.com, again with no password.</snip>

I just double checked in the web admin pages of my Netgear WNR3500L and the username which I have is bthomehub@btbroadband.com with a dummy password (Some third party routers won't allow a null/blank password)

I hope this info helps. laugh

Nothing to see here.. Move along, please
My Broadband Speed Test laugh
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 13-Dec-12 18:32:29
Print Post

[re: Basenji] [link to this post]

It can be, literally, anything you like, as long as it's @btbroadband.com.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 13-Dec-12 23:51:25
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

whatanicedayitistodaynowthatwehaveasuperduperbtinternetconnection@btbroadband.com

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to