User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User astroman
(newbie) Fri 14-Dec-12 18:28:05
Print Post

Ready to order Infinity

[link to this post]

will my wired network adapter (Intel(R) 82562V-2 10/100) running on windows Vista be OK or will I have to upgrade?
Standard User StephenTodd
(committed) Fri 14-Dec-12 18:33:20
Print Post

Re: Ready to order Infinity

[re: astroman] [link to this post]

It will be fine.
It may be worth checking for the latest driver updates just in case, but even without those there shouldn't be any problem.

--
Moved (with trepidation) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User astroman
(newbie) Fri 14-Dec-12 18:35:37
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

thanks for the reply

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 14-Dec-12 23:34:37
Print Post

Are you aware of how FTTC is normally connected up, in terms of the Openreach modem and a separate "cable" router? (In the case of Infinity BT supply a HomeHub "cable" router). And the positioning of these in relation to the master socket and each other?

(I'm assuming it is FTTC that is available to you, not FTTP).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User astroman
(newbie) Sat 15-Dec-12 16:09:07
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Are you aware of how FTTC is normally connected up, in terms of the Openreach modem and a separate "cable" router? (In the case of Infinity BT supply a HomeHub "cable" router). And the positioning of these in relation to the master socket and each other?

(I'm assuming it is FTTC that is available to you, not FTTP).

no I don't and yes it is FTTC

Edited by astroman (Sat 15-Dec-12 16:09:35)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 15-Dec-12 17:13:14
Print Post

Have a quick read of this page smile. Should make things a bit clearer.

The Openreach modem is normally installed within a metre or so of the master socket. If that is inconvenient the engineer can install a Data Extension Cable, also called a Home Wiring Solution, to allow it to be up to 30 metres away.

The engineer may also want to wall-mount the modem, supposedly to make sure it doesn't overheat. This isn't essential, but if you don't want that doing make sure you tell them. (A lot of early modems did die from overheating, and had to be replaced, hence the wall-mounting. But the newer ones don't seem to have an issue).

On Infinity, BT Broadband supply a Home Hub, and the engineer connects that to the modem. Any length of ethernet cable, (up to 100 metres), can be used for that if the one that comes with it is too short, but you would need to provide that.

On FTTC from other ISPs, as most can supply it - Infinity is not the only one, some supply routers and for others you have to buy one. Normal ADSL modem/routers can't be used.

The Home Hub has a standard ethernet switch for you to connect your computer to. As has been said, it may be an idea to update the drivers for your ethernet card, but that applies anyway as you are now. It shouldn't matter.

Good luck smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User astroman
(newbie) Sat 15-Dec-12 18:19:35
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

great explanation, thank you smile
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 15-Dec-12 23:40:44
Print Post

Re: Ready to order Infinity *DELETED*

Post deleted by RobertoS
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 15-Dec-12 23:41:11
Print Post

I've sent you a PM.

Print Thread

Jump to