User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User wilkofife
(newbie) Fri 28-Dec-12 16:01:06
Print Post

Congestion

[link to this post]

I am a non-BT customer considering a return to them as a despairing attempt to overcome disastrous peak time speeds due to backhaul congestion. I am on a small rural exchange in Scotland
I simply need advice as to whether a move with all its hassle is going to be worthwhile, but BT's helpines are utterly hopeless - after doing the Mumbai Merrygoround and listening to a great deal of chamber music, it transpires they can't even understand the question never mind give me an answer. It would also be nice to know if my exchange will ever be upgraded in my lifetime.
Anyone out there know if there is a REAL BT person I can contact ?
Standard User mikejp
(newbie) Fri 28-Dec-12 16:16:58
Print Post

Re: Congestion

[re: wilkofife] [link to this post]

a small rural exchange
- I think that is your answer. Your broadband most probably IS BT, sold on to you by another ISP, so I reckon the congestion would likely continue.

If you could post the name of your exchange someone may be able to answer 'the future' for you. You could also try your Local Authority who will have published maps of BT's 'planned' exchanges for the next 3 years and there are websites where you can check these plans too.
Standard User wilkofife
(newbie) Fri 28-Dec-12 16:31:34
Print Post

[re: mikejp] [link to this post]

Thanks. I know about the rural exchange bit, but some neighbours are not suffering the same problem. The exchange is not unbundled.
I just spoke with a friend along the street. He is with ADSL24, and this afternoon was getting just over 7mb - at the same time I was getting 0.18mb with TalkTalk. Why are only some of us congested ?
Exchange is ESSRM.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 28-Dec-12 16:39:55
Print Post

Because the TalkTalk non-LLU service, supplied via BT Wholesale, is severely under-provisioned. Not just where you are, but everywhere in the UK. At a guess it could be worse for you though, as I expect Scotland as a whole gets too little backhaul rented by them.

The info about ADSL24 wasn't given in your other thread. That rules out exchange or BT WHolesale congestion.

I'd just migrate to someone like ADSL24 or Plusnet.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User StephenTodd
(committed) Fri 28-Dec-12 16:42:36
Print Post

There are different points where congestion can arise. Some, such as the bundles lines to the exchange, will apply to all ISPs. It can still be different for different people on the same exchange depending exactly where they are and who they share resources with.

However, different ISPs have different routes out of the exchange (backhaul), so any congestion there will be different for different ISPs.

Your friend almost certainly pays a lot more to ADSL24 than you do to TalkTalk. He's paying for a better service in various ways, including less congested backhaul and better resolution of customer issues. TalkTalk used to have the worst reputation in the industry; reviews have improved a lot recently but still far from brilliant.

--
Moved (with trepidation) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User mikejp
(newbie) Fri 28-Dec-12 16:57:40
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I assume you have done all the 'usual' things inc checking speed at the master socket?
Standard User wilkofife
(newbie) Fri 28-Dec-12 17:00:34
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

Thank you, gentlemen - it has not been easy , as a layman, trying to extract enough information to make a decision - frying pans and fires spring to mind.
As for an exchange update , I have scoured every website I can think of, and don't see much hope - BT seem notoriously shy of telling anyone what they are doing ! Even my local MP got involved, having been given info about superfast rollout from BT that was wildly optimistic, to put it kindly.
When it comes to price, that is almost a secondary consideration, although my ADSL24 chum is an ex-home electronics engineer not known for his profligacy.....

I have no loyalties to TalkTalk having inherited them, as a once happy Pipex customer.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 28-Dec-12 17:19:06
Print Post

A tip!

BT Retail, which you seem to be considering, could very well be far from the best alternative to TalkTalk. I suggest choosing from one of these, excluding of course TT and BT, plus ADSL24 and vivaciti. (Bear in mind that a lot of the TT opinions will be for the relatively good LLU. I hate to think what the non-LLU like you have would score).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User NilSatisOptimum
(committed) Fri 28-Dec-12 17:21:01
Print Post

Its good to talk to local MPs, even to just remind them they are elected to serve, however I would go closer to grass routes, local councillors, local business forums, community groups etc.

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....
Standard User flippery
(member) Fri 28-Dec-12 17:43:47
Print Post

TalkTalk are not really interested in Non LLU customers, They are not prepared to pay extra to alleviate the congestion problem. Having moved to alternative provider, from TalkTalk, the result is a revelation.
i would put your line/phone with BT and move Broadband to another ISP, many suggested, on a monthly contract. Flexibility of movement if service not up to scratch.
You may pay more but at least streaming will be available 24/7.
  Print Thread

Jump to