User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Firejack
(regular) Wed 02-Jan-13 13:37:08
Print Post

BT Wifi/ FON enabled - Now wireless disconnecting

[link to this post]

Hello,
Got BT Infinity 2 installed at the start of last month. Speed was excellent as was the wireless. In the days running up to Christmas the Wireless started dropping out at least once an hour and sometimes really frustratingly connect/ disconnect/ connect in an endless loop for 2-3 minutes.

I plugged in my old router and re-configured it as an Wireless Access point only. Then disabled Wireless on my HH3. Tested things and the Wireless was rock solid every every device/laptop I tried. I've continued using this setup for the last week without issue.

I did all the checks. Turned off all possible sources of electrical interference, scanned with InSSIDer for the best wireless channel and manually set it on the BT HH3. Still the problem remained.
But I had noticed my HH3 was now broadcasting for BT Wifi/ FON and it wasn't doing that in the days after installation.

So my question is? Does BT Wifi/ FON make anyone else's Wireless unreliable?

(I'm still waiting to get my login details sorted so I can opt-out of BT Wifi/ FON to test further.)

Any other explanation?

Thanks!
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 02-Jan-13 13:51:30
Print Post

Re: BT Wifi/ FON enabled - Now wireless disconnecting

[re: Firejack] [link to this post]

Are you in a large city or something?

If so it could be that literally loads of devices are connecting. Most iPhones, iPads and even laptops have bt wifi saved so they auto connect to it.

This is fine in standard residential properties as not many people connect. In a property outside a busy place though it can cause problems.
Standard User Firejack
(regular) Wed 02-Jan-13 14:02:45
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

I live literally on the edge of town. Across the road is the green belt. Start of the local suburbs behind.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 02-Jan-13 14:36:50
Print Post

I have BT Openzone on my router and absolutely no problems. I set-up my neighbours HH with BT Fon and that is also stable.

I did come across a comment somewhere about HH3 and the passcode used - if it contains certain characters (cannot remember which) it occasionally threw its tooys out ... changing to an alpha-numeric seemed to solve it. Much more that that I cannot remember.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Wed 02-Jan-13 17:10:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by Firejack:
Does BT Wifi/ FON make anyone else's Wireless unreliable?

The HH3 could be wandering channels - when you can turn off the BT WiFi feature and that should fix it.

Or just replace the HH3 with a separate cable style router that does PPPoE, which is what I've done smile

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User brianzion
(newbie) Mon 21-Jan-13 18:23:50
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

yeah these two extra services the bt hub 3 pushes out i found gave my wireless signal rubbish connection. i got my own adsl router and the problem went away i asked bt to turn off the btfon and bt wireless but they cant there end. its part of the bt contract you opt into to get free wireless access when you are away from home etc from other bt users broadcasting the btfon and bt wireless.fon http://goo.gl/EmV46 is a spanish company bt has partnership in. they supply wireless network over europe. any how you have to opt out of btfon to stop the broadcast from your bt hh3. the bt hh2 you could turn the broadcast off in the hub settings. when you use your own hub or router the btfon/wireless does not broadcast.

best regards,
Brian.

Edited by brianzion (Mon 21-Jan-13 18:34:25)

Standard User Backpack
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 22-Jan-13 20:01:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by Firejack:

Yes but only if I let the HH choose it's wireless channel.

If I manually set it to a channel other than channel 1 (which the automatic setting likes to use) then it is fine.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 22-Jan-13 20:12:08
Print Post

I often find windows PCs jumping to the FON SSID and the user getting a login page becuase at some point they've connected to it and selected it to be automatic, but not noticed the signal itself having issues.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User Firejack
(regular) Tue 22-Jan-13 21:41:49
Print Post

[re: brianzion] [link to this post]

I'm still trying to opt out. Some mix up in BTs system is still stopping me opt-ing out.

I'm beginning to think one of my neighbours must have a mobile thats automatically connecting to the BT Wifi/FON signal.

I was browsing this afternoon at 130Mbps completely stable. Its now jumping between 39-78Mbps and keeps dropping out.

Dam annoying as I have no control over it.
Standard User brianzion
(newbie) Tue 22-Jan-13 21:54:45
Print Post

just get yourself a new modem/router you can pick up decent ones for £30-40

best regards,
Brian.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to