User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Racehunter
(regular) Thu 03-Jan-13 09:47:23
Print Post

BT Useage Monitor V HH3 Data Info

[link to this post]

Hi,

I appreciate this topic has been covered in other posts, but I still do not seem to be able to find the answer I am looking for!

I have been with Infinity since August and have the 40Gb package. Occasionally I have a look at the online monitor and as I have always been well within my allowance (under 10Gb normally) I have thought nothing more of it. However, with the return of my Son from Uni for Christmas, and knowing he streams some TV and film content, I thought I would keep a closer eye on things.

The monitor showed, towards the end of the month a figure of 30Gb usage and in fact on 31/12/12 the automatic email warning was triggered at 32Gb. So I took a look at the information in HH3 Manager and was really surprised to see a much lower figure. This showed that the connection had been up for 32 days and 4.0Gb download and 2.8Gb upload had occurred. The period was very similar so assuming all internet traffic is measured through HH3, why should there be such a huge difference?

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Steve
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 03-Jan-13 19:11:32
Print Post

Re: BT Useage Monitor V HH3 Data Info

[re: Racehunter] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Racehunter:
The period was very similar so assuming all internet traffic is measured through HH3, why should there be such a huge difference?

The HH3 could be reporting gibberish, and reset its counter on a power cut?

The meter on the BT website is the only one to look at as its the one they email you about .

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
Huawei VDSL -> Draytek router -> Apple Airport Extreme -> Belkin Switch -> Windows/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User Racehunter
(regular) Thu 03-Jan-13 21:13:18
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Surely if the HH3 was subjected to a power cut, then the 'on time' would also be reset whereas it's showing over 30 days connected?

Is there another way to monitor total usage bearing in mind, the household has various devices that are used to connect to the interweb including Apple, Windows and a Humax Freesat box?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 04-Jan-13 03:31:31
Print Post

[re: Racehunter] [link to this post]

I would expect BT's side to always report higher usage as it will include all unsolicitied traffic, atm, tcp overheads etc. However the gap you are reporting is huge and so the only thing I can suggest is the hh3 is reporting wrong usage.

I suggest downloading something thats at least a gig in size, and then check the hh3 data vs bt's data to see which is closer.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 71/20
Standard User Racehunter
(regular) Fri 04-Jan-13 10:27:12
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Thanks for the suggestion. I have just used the TBB test tool and downloaded a 1Gb package on my desktop PC which is the only one hardwired to the HH3 and the stats agreed on the HH. Obviously I cannot check the Monitor until it refreshes later, but it got me thinking and now I am wondering if the wireless side is not recording the stats correctly.

I will try a 1Gb test on my laptop and see.

Steve
  Print Thread

Jump to