User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User PaulN16
(member) Wed 09-Jan-13 23:52:45
Print Post

SMTP Port 25 Inbound & Outbound

[link to this post]

Looking at possibly switching to BT Infinity, however I run my own SMTP server, and so require port 25 open both inbound and outbound. Does BT therefore block or redirect port 25 in either direction?

I also use port SSL port 443 for webmail access. Does BT block this at all inbound?

Thanks,

Paul

--
Paul
Standard User Evari
(newbie) Sun 13-Jan-13 11:31:13
Print Post

Re: SMTP Port 25 Inbound & Outbound

[re: PaulN16] [link to this post]

According to their broadband usage policy they do not block port 25, 443 or any other inbound or outbound port:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10495...

I'm on infinity myself. I don't have an email or web server on my home network to test with but I am able to get an outbound connection on port 25 to a 3rd party smtp server.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 13-Jan-13 12:39:07
Print Post

[re: Evari] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Evari:
According to their broadband usage policy they do not block port 25, 443 or any other inbound or outbound port:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10495...

I'm on infinity myself. I don't have an email or web server on my home network to test with but I am able to get an outbound connection on port 25 to a 3rd party smtp server.
A bit more info please? I don't see that on the page linked to, (maybe I'm missing it), and don't really want to follow all the links on it to find it.

Re Port 25 itself, that must be a fairly recent change. I configured someone last year and it was blocked for sending to the third party SMTP. I had to use the alternative port provided there.

Edit - The strikeout is because it didn't occur to me to click the down-arrows on the page. D'oh! The robertcrowther reply referring to the asterisks alerted me.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 13-Jan-13 13:13:17)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User robertcrowther
(regular) Sun 13-Jan-13 12:46:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The link does say: Are any services, content, applications or protocols always blocked on this product? No

But it does have a ** next to to, so there could be some that are blocked.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 13-Jan-13 13:03:18
Print Post

[re: robertcrowther] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by robertcrowther:
Unlikely that Port 25 is
**This excludes any service, content, application or protocol that an ISP is required to block by UK law and child abuse images as informed by the list provided by the Internet Watch Foundation
Now you are disseminating misinformation yourself, that you accuse others of. What a hypocrite!

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Sun 13-Jan-13 13:05:28)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 13-Jan-13 13:10:06
Print Post

The link does say: Are any services, content, applications or protocols always blocked on this product? No

But it's posted on a website and according to you could be incomplete or inaccurate. Furthermore, it is in a section devoted to Traffic Management.

Traffic management is not normally understood to refer to SMTP access ports, and the context of the whole page is throughput control.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
(regular) Sun 13-Jan-13 13:18:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:

But it's posted on a website and according to you could be incomplete or inaccurate. Furthermore, it is in a section devoted to Traffic Management.

Traffic management is not normally understood to refer to SMTP access ports, and the context of the whole page is throughput control.

Stop throwing your toys out the pram. It was you who said you could not read the link, I just pointed out where the OP of the link was talking about.
Standard User Zadeks
(experienced) Sun 13-Jan-13 13:25:05
Print Post

"**This excludes any service, content, application or protocol that an ISP is required to block by UK law and child abuse images as informed by the list provided by the Internet Watch Foundation."

Read the small print.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 13-Jan-13 13:25:12
Print Post

Stop throwing your toys out the pram. It was you who said you could not read the link, I just pointed out where the OP of the link was talking about.
But what you posted is nonsense as has already been pointed out.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 13-Jan-13 13:27:49
Print Post

Calm down

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 13-Jan-13 13:36:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Furthermore, it is in a section devoted to Traffic Management.

I would certainly take that Q to cover port blocking.

Orange uses the same pro forma to cover their blocking of Port 25:
Section 1: Traffic management in relation to your broadband product
Use and availability of services, content, application and protocols on this product

Are any services, content, applications or protocols always blocked on this product?** Yes

If so what? The only restriction we’ve put in place is an email setting that helps protect our customers against unsolicited emails, also known as spam. (For the techies amongst you this means we stop connections to non-Orange SMTP servers on port 25, and block NetBIOS)
because they are both following:
BSG Voluntary industry code of practice on traffic management transparency on broadband services Hot!

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 13-Jan-13 13:39:43
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In that case, would you agree that BT do not block Port 25?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 13-Jan-13 13:50:51
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I would indeed! Especially as one BT user confirms it for Port 25 outgoing. That's enough for me; I'm willing to extrapolate it to all BT users, even tho' it might be stated in an official BT doc. on an official BT website, which might not be 100% complete/accurate grin.

In fact, I'm getting p*ssed of with reading robertcrowther's constant bleating, rudeness and misinformation. He needs to take a lengthy vacation "fixing" his own "machine".

(regular) Sun 13-Jan-13 13:55:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
I would indeed! Especially as one BT user confirms it for Port 25 outgoing. That's enough for me; I'm willing to extrapolate it to all BT users, even tho' it might be stated in an official BT doc. on an official BT website, which might not be 100% complete/accurate grin.

In fact, I'm getting p*ssed of with reading robertcrowther's constant bleating, rudeness and misinformation. He needs to take a lengthy vacation "fixing" his own "machine".

"bleating, rudeness and misinformation" You should not talk to yourself while looking in the mirror.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 13-Jan-13 14:05:00
Print Post

Now you're getting paranoid! I've hardly had any interaction with you. I've been mainly reading your posts and the responses they have engendered, and have fumed at the waste of time and hijacking of threads that you have caused.

(regular) Sun 13-Jan-13 14:17:09
Print Post

Now you're getting paranoid! I've hardly had any interaction with you. I've been mainly reading your posts and the responses they have engendered, and have fumed at the waste of time and hijacking of threads that you have caused.

You say that you've hardly had any interaction with me, yet you use a swear word, well that sums you up then.

I do have an idea for this forum, why don't you all get together in real life rather than just posting insults to people on forums.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 13-Jan-13 14:19:59
Print Post

You say that you've hardly had any interaction with me, yet you use a swear word, well that sums you up then.

I do have an idea for this forum, why don't you all get together in real life rather than just posting insults to people on forums.
A sweary word? Where?

(regular) Sun 13-Jan-13 14:22:01
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:

A sweary word? Where?

See here: http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/bt/t/4199189-re-smt...
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 13-Jan-13 14:24:09
Print Post

That's disgusting. Censor avoidance as well smile

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 13-Jan-13 14:25:25
Print Post

A warning - collaborate with people don't fight them.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User pgregg
(newbie) Wed 16-Jan-13 00:10:45
Print Post

[re: PaulN16] [link to this post]

I run my own home-lan email server and have inbound SMTP and IMAPS.
I also sent SMTP+SSL out to my VPS in the US.

I have also use incoming port 80 and 443 ok.

=> BT do not block inbound or outbound SMTP, IMAP(s), HTTP, HTTPS traffic.

Of course you have to sort out your own way of directing SMTP to you dynamic BT IP.

Hope this helps.

BT Faster Total Broadband: 15Mbps
Standard User PaulN16
(member) Wed 16-Jan-13 11:54:14
Print Post

Thanks guys for the info and for pointing me in the direction of that page. I've ordered it, so time will tell, and i'll just have to work around any issues.

--
Paul
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to